VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PLATINUM950

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I admin this page and we are trying to find some way to get the old girl up and running. We are all to lazy to go back to xp machines and simply want to get a good way to run her on Win7.

If someone happens to find a solution that most folks could follow a step by step instructions. I'll see to it that you receive some small compensation for getting it to work in multi player consistently. feel free to post on our FB page or contact me via fb at eric_lafave @ yahoo
https://www.facebook.com/pages/HEAVY-GEAR-II/28990359948

Most appreciated!

Eric

EDIT REMOVED MENTION OF TORRENTS. ABANDONWARE ISN'T SUPPORTED HERE

Reply 1 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want a solution talk to the people that make your video card driver (or get the right video card\driver combination that works for the game) or the publisher/developer that currently has the source code.

If neither work of those work then look into trying to get the Linux version of Heavy Gear II working.

Heavy Gear II is not a DOS game so at this point in time DOSBox nor any other VM software will help you.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 15, by PLATINUM950

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunate about dosbox/hgii.. was hoping it has some video emulation/converter. Appreciate the response! The goal is to get it working on a modern system so the 280+ people who are a fan of the page can play. To get everyone to get a throwback machine..erm odds are low.. Rather find a way to pay someone $10-15 per person for the solution of which I would ensure they get. If you can think of other solutions that get us to that goal. I would be very grateful!

Reply 3 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PLATINUM950 wrote:

If someone happens to find a solution that most folks could follow a step by step instructions.

You might get a little farther if you can try to explain more about what the problem is, exactly.

DosFreak wrote:

Heavy Gear II is not a DOS game so at this point in time DOSBox nor any other VM software will help you.

If the game runs in XP, then VMware+XP would get the job done, I suspect.

Reply 4 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Issue is likely the same for all who complain Graphics issues.

Vmware\VirtualBox only support D3D8+.

HGII is a D3D6 game.
The Linux ver is of course OGL.

Reply 5 of 15, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FWIW Expendable and Virus 2000 are fully playable on Windows XP SP3 running in Parallels on my Mac. Not sure if they are DirectX 6 or 7 titles though.

Reply 6 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC just like the VirtualBox\Vmware Parallels probably supports OGL acceleration.

D3D!=OGL.

Reply 7 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

plus, Virtualbox's WineD3D wrapper only covers D3D8/D3D9.

I should try HG2 on 7 myself, it's 32-bit, D3D, and it should work on RadeonHD as I remember it working on that in XP.

I have a feeling this is yet another "Nvidia can't support legacy caps = WINDOWS BROKE GAME need XP/vista/7 fix plz" problem.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 15, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those VMs are starting to get pointless. I mean, what is the point of a VM if it only supports modern stuff? 3rd parties that made glide wrappers possible should be able to make older D3D versions work better with modern drivers and OS.

Reply 9 of 15, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

IIRC just like the VirtualBox\Vmware Parallels probably supports OGL acceleration.

D3D!=OGL.

Expendable and Virus 2000 are Direct3D games, none of them has an OpenGL renderer. I am fully aware that OpenGL and D3D is not the same thing.
I recommend Parallels as a solution for running older Windows games, like the two pre-DX8 titles I mentioned.

/EDIT
The Virus 2000 CD has DirectX 6.0, the Expendable CD has the Direct X 6.1 redist. I own boxed originals.
I'll try running the Heavy Gear II Demo in Parallels next time I boot into OS X.

Reply 10 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Then those games likely fallback to DDraw\GDI.

IIRC Parallels uses Wine for D3D support so again only D3D8+ is supported.

Reply 12 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC D3D7 isn't support with Wined3d due to issue with OPENGL32.dll\ddraw.dll included in Windows. Do a google search on it to find the explanation.

Think there's a hack out there using ReactOS opengl32.dll to get around it.

That was all with Virtualbox tho and VBox devs don't seem interesting in fixing anything for games so mabye Parallels has D3D7 support.

http://www.parallels.com/review/pd40_parallels/granted

The DirectX Diagnostic Tool will perform a Direct3D 7, 8 and 9 test by showing a spinning cube with the DirectX logo on the sides. If you’re viewing this correct, this means DirectX 7, 8 and 9 are fully supported and ready to use with graphical applications.

Still doesn't do anything for HG2 tho.

Reply 13 of 15, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The HG2 demo hangs on a black screen when starting a game. I ran the installer and the game itself in Win95 compatibility mode. Menus work fine. Someone could probably get it going with a bit of tweaking, there are plenty of config files to edit and stuff.

Reply 14 of 15, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://wiki.winehq.org/WineD3DOnWindows -> http://wiki.winehq.org/Parallels

Parallels worked around the recursive linking problem.
I'm can use Wined3d's DirectDraw with no problems.
I just tried the HG2 demo and it did NOT work with Wined3d.
HG2 did run with regular d3d on win7 (for me)

Attachments

• Filename
    wined3d_menu.png
    File size
    23.65 KiB
    Downloads
    382 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 15, by Deadalus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bumping this; I've instealled it on my Win7 laptop, and I can't play both campaign and historical campaign (always crashes on loading screen) although training and instant action works just fine. Strange since most people have the opposite problem instead (crashes during IA but campaign works). I'm trying this method to eliminate the graphics problem (works, actually) : http://www.gog.com/forum/general/heavy_gear_2 … lling_fix/page1