VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by neilcoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have major graphical problems when trying to run old games in direct3d
(mostly from 1998-1999, though also a few earlier)

i tried many drivers, including some very old,
but could only manage to reduce problems,
not cancel them

for example, with the most compatible driver i could find,
jane's USAF (and mini pro & super pro)
would show MFD content (radar etc.) outside the actual MFD screen

another example:
depending on driver version,
rally championship 2000 (mobil one) would either run at unacceptable speed (15 FPS or less), or at 70 FPS or more but with unresponsive controls

many other games also show major graphical problems (sub culture etc.)

on one PC i use geforce FX 5500 (win9x/ME/xp sp2 FAT32)
on another i have an ATI ASUS 3650 HD (xp sp2 NTFS)

many thanks for you qualified advice

Reply 1 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Radeon starting from the first 7x00 regressed table fog and paletted textures already, so you're SOL on that one. Ironically it has better compatibility than the GFFX and other GF's

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ya a lot of those old D3D games are basically written for 3dfx D3D. ATi didn't bother to support some things, like fog table. Nvidia is definitely better, even Geforce FX. Don't go newer than FX though. Really a Voodoo3-5 is ideal.

Reply 3 of 11, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's sad but I've found Intel chipsets like in my netbook actually render very old games accurately compared to newer cards; 16-bit dithering is generally excellent for example. For Geforces though, the GF3/4 series were the last and most compatible "legacy" cards before NV switched architectures.

Reply 4 of 11, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the FX5500 the 93.71 drivers is definitely the way to go. You should be able to play Mobil 1 and Janes USAF with that driver under XP. Remember to force a high AA in Mobil 1 or it will crash in some places when running in high fps (I have to force a 64x mode with sparse grid supersampling transparency for it not to crash on my GTX260).

Reply 5 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
duralisis wrote:

It's sad but I've found Intel chipsets like in my netbook actually render very old games accurately compared to newer cards; 16-bit dithering is generally excellent for example.

Yup I've found that my EeePC 900's GMA 900 is surprisingly useful for games from 2001 and earlier.

Reply 6 of 11, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't use anything beyond the latest detonator drivers for a card/game that old:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_45.23

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_45.23.html

Edit : Interesting the FX5500 is the only FX series card not listed in that drivers release notes. Did the 5500 come out later? It still may work with those drivers though which I have found are THE best for older games on anything FX series and below.

Reply 8 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Splinter Cell and the second game are known to only work on old video cards and drivers. They use weird features that no new driver has and on a modern machine the lightning is totally off 😀

Easier to source an Xbox though because that's the main platform for this game.

Reply 9 of 11, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Splinter Cell and the second game are known to only work on old video cards and drivers. They use weird features that no new driver has and on a modern machine the lightning is totally off 😀

Easier to source an Xbox though because that's the main platform for this game.

Xbox + Splintercell is a totally awesome combo. Even if you never play the game 😉

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 10 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought the pack on Steam and playing the first game was hard because you couldn't see the "search light" during many levels.

The second game was unplayable because of similar issues.

One day I'll play it on the Xbox!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel