VOGONS

Common searches

Test Drive 6 - No music

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to play Test Drive 6 on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit laptop. The game plays well, but without music. The log file (TD6.log located in the game's main directory) says

Test Drive 6 […]
Show full quote

Test Drive 6

DirectX APIs 7
Build 32
Operating System Windows 95 Version 4.10, Build 2222
Processor 2 x AuthenticAMD KNI @ 1996 MHz
Physical Memory 255MB
Page File 1792MB
System Name TOMEK-COMPAQ

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series Driver Version 0.00.00.0000
Device Identifiers 00001002.00009552.3652103C.00000000
Driver Direct3D T&L HAL
Gamma Control Not Available
Skip VSync Disabled
Textures On
Dithering On
Subpixel Accuracy On
ZBias On
Filters Mag Anisotropic Min Anisotropic Mip Trilinear
LODBias On
GDI Access Yes
Maximum Texture Dimension 4096

Found Controller Device Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)

Sound Device Głośniki i słuchawki (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC) ({0.0.0.00000000}.{fc32bbeb-761e-472d-bac5-bd67cffe71e6})
EAX Support Not Available
###############################################################################
# Loading Frontend
###############################################################################

Static Textures 34 using 1806336 Pixels @ 16bits & 65536 Pixels @ 32bits
prepared 139 level textures in 507 msecs
Local Texture Memory Total 529510400 Free 527569984
All Texture Memory Total -1888399360 Free -1890339776
Maximum Static Texture Depth 32
Space Required 8901193
Preloaded Textures (139 in level)
AGP Usage Not Required
Codec to play WMA files not found
Failed to start playing Music\GW2.wma

It appears the game can't play WMA music. Running it in Win 98 compatibility and Administrator mode doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Reply 3 of 13, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bump but still... it could be that it relies on the WMA source filter, which was part of WinXP but removed in Vista and Win7. I think it's what prevents Ford Racing 2 from working too on Vista/Win7.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 4 of 13, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got to install this, it's likely part of the WMA playback stuff that was removed in newer Windows.

As per Ford Racing 2, I did a quick "halfway house" to get the music playing via Windows Media Player at least, see attached.

Filename
TD6music.zip
File size
260.59 KiB
Downloads
1047 downloads
File comment
Test Drive 6 music player
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Now my only real problems with Test Drive 6 are:

1. Resolution in-game is messed up with my high res monitor, and only detects 2 resolutions of 0.0.0bit and 80.0.0bit (or 100 if one of the compatibility modes is used), both of which are super low-res.

2. Frame rate is terrible compared to old Pentium4 PC.

I think the resolution data may be stored in the TD6.pm0 (pm1 etc) files, but I can't understand them!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 5 of 13, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't fixed the resolution issue yet, however the framerate can be improved by either running in a window or using the DDRAW.dll replacement for Windows 8.1 (from Windows_8_8_1_DDRAW_FPS_FIX.zip) that improves performance in older games. However the latter will cause parts of the scenery to disappear(!) so it might be a case of using dxwnd to run the window fullscreen, perhaps. More to investigate later methinks. There's an ACT fix too here, which I might try later: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630

I tried Dege's DirectDraw/D3D wrapper and that doesn't work (though I've not got it working it anything yet, so will look more into this later, when I get to Extreme-G2 which someone else said it definitely works in). Still that's point 2 almost sorted... almost...

Reply 6 of 13, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a dirty hack you can use to get the game running filling the screen at a decent frame rate, if low-res.

Given the game currently mis-detects my graphics card, so the in-game video options do nothing to raise the resolution, and using the DDRAW.dll replacement makes many parts of the scenery transparent, what you can do is this:

1. Go to the Test Drive 6 install folder, right-click TD6.exe and tick "Run in 640x480 screen resolution".
2. Start the game, and in the "Rendering" tab, tick "Begin in a Window".
3. Run the game, and now there will be full screen at decent frame rate. Effectively you're only running the windowed version though, and cropping the screen to the game itself!

There might be a more elegant solution with dxwnd, but I've never looked into that. From what Dege was saying, his DX wrapper too might have the missing scenery issues, for now at least.

Reply 7 of 13, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Finally got to install this, it's likely part of the WMA playback stuff that was removed in newer Windows.

Windows Media Audio is a microsoft thing. Why would they remove it?

Are you sure you didn't have weird codec packs installed instead? They can screw lots of games afaik

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 8 of 13, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think it's WMA as such, rather the filter they used to stream it, that's been deprecated. Not many games rely on it, as many of the era have CD audio.

Reply 10 of 13, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's the method used to playback the digital audio that's unsupported. Test Drive 6, like Ford Racing 2, used a method to stream the wma files which is unsupported now. They don't use CD audio.

Reply 11 of 13, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A smalll update: the music works in Ubuntu running inside VirtualBox...

After a bit of research, I found this: http://wiki.winehq.org/Sound It would seem that the file responsible for music playback in Test Drive 6 is either winmm.dll or dsound.dll. I tried to copy these files from Ubuntu to Windows and put them in TD6 directory, but the game wouldn't start after that (yeah, it may seem foolish, but it didn't hurt to just try).

Reply 12 of 13, by King of Arendelle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi tgomola !

I know this topic is quite old, and maybe you've already solved the problem, but I found a method which operates for Windows 10 :

1. Download "Media Player Codec Pack" and install following the instructions.
2. In the Start menu, go to "Settings"
3. In the search bar, type "Default apps"
4. Choose "Windows Media Player" in the "Choose an application" pop up menu for the "Video player" section

Hope this method will help you, and sorry if I made language mistakes, I may have forgotten some english lessons... 😵

Oh, and a funny thing to do : in the file Cryo > Test Drive 6 > Music, we can exchange musics' names. For example, if you rename "KM1" with "EM3", you'll run in London listening to Dog's Life ! 😵