VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Usually I can figure such things out myself, but this problem is still a total mystery:

There are two Intel 'Sandy Bridge' Systems, with Windows XP SP3 32-bit:
- Notebook: Core i3 2100M, HM65 Chipset, Intel HD graphics, Realtek audio, SSD.
- Desktop: Pentium G620, Z68 chipset, Intel HD graphics, Realtek audio, HDD.

Both of these systems have a very annoying habit when playing older games like Starcraft 1 or Ghost Recon 1. They randomly stutter in relation to sounds being played. The game is smooth for like 30 seconds, then freezes a second, right after the freeze a certain sound effect is heard. This gives the impression that something is stalling on precaching that sound. Though it is not really predictable when and on which sound it will stall next. Sometimes it makes playing these games very unenjoyable, other times it is less noticeable.

All drivers are up to date. The windows install is fresh (but ghosted). Disabling background processes makes no difference.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since you are using Windows XP you should be able to lower sound acceleration in dxdiag

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, I just tried it.
setting DXdiag sound hardware acceleration to basic (2/4): problem still there
setting DXdiag sound hardware acceleration to none (1/4): problem still there, though lag times seemed slightly shorter.

Wish I could test a different soundcard, I have like a dozen, but ISA and PCI only. They won't connect to the above systems.

Then again, the hardware is the most common stuff sold these days, it is just that the OS and the games are getting a little dated. I wonder, why am I the only one noticing this? Even my eee PC (atom N280) and Core2Duo (T5600) do a better job with these games, and both use Realtek audio.

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same driver version?

Edit

Last edited by DosFreak on 2012-01-05, 23:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My suspicion has changed direction.
It is now in the direction of the notebook Hard Disk: WD Scorpio Blue 320GB
which used to be in the notebook, but is now in the desktop.

It seems this Hard Disk spins down often. I wil try the WD Align tool for Windows XP, as recommended on the label, and see if it makes any difference. Edit: no noticable improvement. I'll buy an SSD and keep this Disk for storage only.

Reply 6 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check the Power settings in Windows. Should be possible to keep it from spinning down in there as well.

Reply 7 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I changed the Harddisk firmware idle timer setting with a DOS tool called WDIDLE3. I used a DOS bootable flash disk.

'WDIDLE3 /R' reported idle timer was originally 4 seconds.
'WDIDLE3 /S300' makes this 5 minutes instead.

Lets see how it behaves now...

Edit: behaviour is still poor with the notebook Hard Disk. But I tried another 3.5" Hard Disk and it was much better with that one.