VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PunkMaister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have to ask because for what I read and hear Virtual PC and it's main commercial competitor are neither up to task in this department And since DOSBox does not provide any kind of support for an emulated older operating system i guess the definitive answer is they cannot be played anymore PERIOD right?

Reply 1 of 30, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It depends on your definition of properly and the games.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 30, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've done some testing with Virtual PC 2007 running Windows 98. One of the main issues is it doesn't work with copy protection.

Some other problems I've had:
Couldn't set D3D Emulation mode.
requires hardware OpenGL acceleration
requires hardware acceleration
Couldn't determine the refresh rate of the display
sound distorted, controls unresponsive
Cannot set display mode!
Could not initialize renderer
runs too slow

Reply 6 of 30, by PunkMaister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Virtual PC only runs on the professional version of Windows 7 my brand new laptop as most machines do came with the home edition version.

Reply 8 of 30, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

google's link says this about pcem (havnt looked at the site)
" It emulates : - IBM 5150 PC - IBM 5160 XT - Tandy 1000 - Generic XT clone - Schneider EuroPC "
none of those would run win 95

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 30, by PunkMaister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How does one even configure that (PCem)? I've dowloaded all the suggested items on that website and cannot get past the BIOS which the program does not allow me to modify the settings in any way and the emulation simply freezes as there is no 'Hard Drive" to detect.

That website offers no clue as to how to make their program work.

Reply 12 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PunkMaister wrote:

I see guess that answers my question that old windows games simply cannot be played anymore period.

That's why we build dedicated 9x machines 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weird because I play old Windows games on my Core i7 with Windows 7 64bit all the time.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 30, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PunkMaister wrote:

And since DOSBox does not provide any kind of support for an emulated older operating system

Official support is not provided, but that hasn't stopped people from trying (with some degree of success, apparently).

PunkMaister wrote:

I have A-10 Tank Killer 2 and Dragon's Lair deluxe pack and I;d love to be able to run them again.

Well, what happens when you try to run them? Sometimes the problem is related more to a lack of backwards compatibility in graphics card drivers than it is with Windows.

Also, if you really want to play Dragon's Lair again, Digital Leisure is undoubtedly selling another new version that will run under Windows 7. (They have released that game over and over and over again at every single possible opportunity.)

PunkMaister wrote:

Virtual PC only runs on the professional version of Windows 7 my brand new laptop as most machines do came with the home edition version.

VMware Player ought to work. In some ways it is superior to Virtual PC anyway.

Reply 16 of 30, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't forget that you can use Virtualbox... but some things (D3D acceleration) only work in XP or linux guests.

Also, Linux + Wine + cracks (in some cases) works better than Windows in some cases (i.e.: Star Wars EP1 Racer doesn't run on Windows XP, but DOES run in Linux+Wine).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 18 of 30, by PunkMaister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Official support is not provided, but that hasn't stopped people from trying (with some degree of success, apparently).

Oh I have successfully installed Windows 95 under DOSBox along with most video drivers and I was working with the sound when i learned that since there is no way to use the CDROM in DOSBox Windows 95 run there was no point to it. 🙁

Jorpho wrote:

Well, what happens when you try to run them? Sometimes the problem is related more to a lack of backwards compatibility in graphics card drivers than it is with Windows.

A-10 simply crashes when one tries to play the game with some overllow error or something like that.

The deluxe Dragon's Lair package which included 3 full games was optimized to be used under Windows 95 and long ago after I moved to XP and now Windows 7 it hasn't worked ever again. Apparently some videogame control routines only worked for Windows 95/98. 🙁

Jorpho wrote:

Also, if you really want to play Dragon's Lair again, Digital Leisure is undoubtedly selling another new version that will run under Windows 7. (They have released that game over and over and over again at every single possible opportunity.)

Again i got the deluxe package which is 3 games in one. is not just Dragon's Lair even if they re-released all the lasergames it would cost a small fortune to rebuy them all again.

Jorpho wrote:

VMware Player ought to work. In some ways it is superior to Virtual PC anyway.

is VMware PCem or is it the older Microsoft emulator for Vista and XP? If so what about the XP drivers and codecs it has could it make my brand new laptop crash and burn? I certainly don't want that.

Reply 19 of 30, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

is VMware PCem or is it the older Microsoft emulator for Vista and XP? If so what about the XP drivers and codecs it has could it make my brand new laptop crash and burn? I certainly don't want that.

Vmware, PCEM, VirtualPC, VirtualBoxare all Virtualizers, not really something that has mauch impact on the host system, except for CPU time...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper