VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 30, by PunkMaister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

is VMware PCem or is it the older Microsoft emulator for Vista and XP? If so what about the XP drivers and codecs it has could it make my brand new laptop crash and burn? I certainly don't want that.

Vmware, PCEM, VirtualPC, VirtualBoxare all Virtualizers, not really something that has mauch impact on the host system, except for CPU time...

Still it is unfortunate that because DOSBox does not allow for the use of CDROM in a Windows 95 run it renders such a run practically useless to begin with what's more unfortunate is that none of the other virtualizers are really any good for games to begin with. For what I read VMware does not support USB so it does not support joystick or gamepads either.

i think the wisest thing to do at this point is what is always best for life which is to give up...

Reply 21 of 30, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

thought some version of an cd emulator worked in dosbox under win95.
But of course. you're on your own

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 22 of 30, by PunkMaister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

thought some version of an cd emulator worked in dosbox under win95.
But of course. you're on your own

If there is such a thing I haven't found it, I'd love too though given the fact I already have working 95 copy that runs under DOSBox and all that is left is to tweak the sound and somehow enable the use of the CD ROM then it should be playing time. 😀

Reply 23 of 30, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

daemon tools

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 24 of 30, by PunkMaister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think i will wait until someone posts more detailed information n how to make it all work together. For example I can mount the CD/DVD ROM drive on DOSBox but a virtual run of Windows 95 under DOSBox won't recognize it and it's probably the same for virtual drives as well

Reply 26 of 30, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you use daemon tools in windows 95 with your iso. look at the other threads about running windows 95 in dosbox

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 27 of 30, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PunkMaister wrote:

How does one even configure that (PCem)? I've dowloaded all the suggested items on that website and cannot get past the BIOS which the program does not allow me to modify the settings in any way and the emulation simply freezes as there is no 'Hard Drive" to detect.

That website offers no clue as to how to make their program work.

Emulators aren't straightforward. You have to use a Windows 9x boot disk image, format a drive with it, then insert a Windows 95 cd, and get installing.

PunkMaister wrote:

A-10 simply crashes when one tries to play the game with some overllow error or something like that.

This was one of the few games incompatible with Windows 98 as well, IIRC

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 30, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just looked at a-10 tank killer 2 (cant install on win7 x64 as the installer is 16bit)
and it contains win32's so its probably a win 3.0/3.1 game I think a few people have had success running win 3.1 under dosbox

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 29 of 30, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PunkMaister wrote:

The deluxe Dragon's Lair package which included 3 full games was optimized to be used under Windows 95 and long ago after I moved to XP and now Windows 7 it hasn't worked ever again. Apparently some videogame control routines only worked for Windows 95/98. 🙁

This still isn't helpful. What do you mean by "it doesn't work"? What "videogame control routines" are you referring to?

Jorpho wrote:

Again i got the deluxe package which is 3 games in one. is not just Dragon's Lair even if they re-released all the lasergames it would cost a small fortune to rebuy them all again.

Have you even tried looking? I'll admit that the prices on Digital Leisure's website are a bit silly, but it's not like no one else is selling them.

PunkMaister wrote:

For what I read VMware does not support USB so it does not support joystick or gamepads either.

I have no idea where you are reading these things.

i think the wisest thing to do at this point is what is always best for life which is to give up...

I'm beginning to think the only reason you're saying things like that is to provoke more responses.

Reply 30 of 30, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Imagine a big player in the virtualizer business not supporting USB...