VOGONS

Common searches

Why emulate? just why?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 42, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also enjoy using emulators. I have a real Sega Genesis/CD/32x setup, but sometimes I just don't feel like having that clutter around my apartment or taking up space on my modern TV where the PS3 is. It's easier for me to load up Phantasy Star III for example, than digging out the original cartridge and hoping the battery backup isn't dead...(which amazingly, it isn't!)

There are times when I really want nothing less than the real hardware, say when I'm playing Dos titles or using my midi controller keyboard with a SC-55. But emulation is convenient, portable, and easy to use from my laptop.

I'll never sell the Sega, though. I'd rather give it to my kids one day and watch them play Sonic. 😀

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 41 of 42, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a no brainer. People like conveniece. if you can fit all your games on one machine whats all the hoopla about. In 20 more years some of the old games for consoles will be needed to play on an emulator. Thats because most of the old machines have broken down and the batteries in the cartridges have died

Reply 42 of 42, by Sadist boar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's it. Kill the thread now. But note that there exists some hardware with built-in emulation (ranging from almost good to half-butted). Half-btted one is SUBINI S680DT having a NES emulator. Joystick quickly stopped working properly (port fault) and only half of games really loaded. Though, from the game CD that came with that SUBINI device, i found Adventures of Lolo. The day when I saw the device, my bro played that top-down flight game (1945?) - then I instantly thought it was NES. I turned my PC on, put the CD in - and saw that it WAS a collection of NES ROMs! My first pen-drive was given to me to store NES games for Subini - when it still worked. Another example is... another portable DVD player with GBA (unsure if it used ROMs or had a card slot - never had that one). As of SMD, a SMD-like gamepad for PC turned out to be bothersome - worse than the original. So I'll go with keyboard. Again, this thread is going into "shoot-a-noob" category, so please close it. 😐

Sad fat people are never good at using complex programs.