VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone remember it? It was a Windows Glide game that shocked everyone with its awesomeness when the demo versions were made public. It won awards, etc. but never got produced because the developers wouldn't play nice with the publishers who showed interest.

I'm mentioning it here partly for nostalgia, and partly because it makes a great rolling demo for Voodoo 1/2 cards and other 3D cards that support OpenGL or Glide. It works fine on my GTX 460, for example 😀

It has a console and help command for the console, and it *appears* that you could set up a multiplayer LAN game if you poked around enough, but I won't swear. The F10 key does something as well, I think it starts a new game?

Anyhow, almost nobody on the internet has it, and those who do have the older alpha 6.5 version. I've uploaded the alpha 7 version if any of you want to play with it:

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1HS3IEYA/F … RE_A7.zip_links

Reply 3 of 6, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
McMick wrote:

I'm mentioning it here partly for nostalgia, and partly because it makes a great rolling demo for Voodoo 1/2 cards and other 3D cards that support OpenGL or Glide. It works fine on my GTX 460, for example 😀

Thanks, cool.

If you open FIRE.LOG you can see it uses Direct3D, not OpenGL.

Reply 4 of 6, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sune Salminen wrote:

If you open FIRE.LOG you can see it uses Direct3D, not OpenGL.

Ah, you're right -- but if you have a Voodoo or Voodoo 2 or a Glide wrapper, it will use Glide.

I love this entry I found in my fire.log:

Clock speed = 3021.207764MHz approx <-- 🤣@"approx"

Reply 6 of 6, by SmartIdea8078

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
McMick wrote on 2012-01-29, 18:35:
Does anyone remember it? It was a Windows Glide game that shocked everyone with its awesomeness when the demo versions were made […]
Show full quote

Does anyone remember it? It was a Windows Glide game that shocked everyone with its awesomeness when the demo versions were made public. It won awards, etc. but never got produced because the developers wouldn't play nice with the publishers who showed interest.

It has a console and help command for the console, and it *appears* that you could set up a multiplayer LAN game if you poked around enough, but I won't swear. The F10 key does something as well, I think it starts a new game?

Anyhow, almost nobody on the internet has it, and those who do have the older alpha 6.5 version. I've uploaded the alpha 7 version if any of you want to play with it:

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1HS3IEYA/F … RE_A7.zip_links

I apologize for the necro posting, but I was wondering if anyone still had this file? I am working on archiving IGF entries over time and I can't find this version of this game.