VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'v been herring for years that the only way to play build engine games is under DOS, or DOSBOX. But several years ago i found a patch for the build engine, made by ken Silverman himself. I can't seem to find the download link for it though. all I have is a crappy CD-R i made on my old P3 box about 4 years ago. It's a little popup program that runs under dos while windows runs. It's called NOLFB and you start it before you play something like DUKE 3D. For example: the church in the third level, you can go behind the cross and see the doom sprite. Under windows the game usually crashes here, but with the patch the game runs fine. Anyone know of a download link for this patch? and yes it works for all build games from what i remember.

my life runs on X86

Reply 1 of 6, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is easily found using google. It only fixes one specific type of issue with games that use certain screen modes.

I'd recommend using a good source port like eduke32 to play Duke3d under windows. It offers a lot more features and stability.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Plus, nolfb and cli2nop are included in the last VDMSound package.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 6, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This crash is not related to video modes, but to sound reverb. There is also a patch to correct that (as a side effect, reverb will be off). You can find the ones for Duke3D and Shadow Warrior here: http://www.3drealms.com/downloads.html