VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[solution in summary: use win98SE and Utlima 9 Extended Setup to tweak settings if u have additional probs]

Hiya!

after building my winME p4 machine I decided to finally play UltimaIX ... I did a full install, installed 1.18f patch and then the 1.19 unofficial one.
I made a yt vid to show you: http://youtu.be/N9Y_wn2VCFo

as you can see the framerate is really good but the character's movement is broken , the journal animation is dead slow and it makes no difference of the details setting.... it's like an internal timer or something just goes crazy 😠
I have tried the game completely unpatched, with 1.18f patch and with the 1.19 one.... all 3 behave the same.
I have tried running in Glide or D3D mode, still the same (so there is nothing wrong with the gf4 drivers I think, the v2 ones are the last stock 3dfx ones)
I even tried downclocking the cpu to 1.2ghz, still the same! 😵

the pc is running winME, a p4@2.4 with HT disabled, voodoo2 sli, gf4200ti, sblive, dx8.2 ... I am all out of ideas and found nothing on google... (I did not even find an alive Ultima series forum)

I am getting pissed at this because when I bought U9 it was running like a snail on my p3 and now that I have built a machine that has a nice framerate it just crapped out 😏

Anyone here has any suggestions? because I am all out of ideas...

edit: seems my discs are 1.18F patched from the factory, I notice the installation saying 1.18F and there is a PATCH.TXT on the cd with the... 1.18F notes... and to add more to the insult, the game runs fine on my i7/560ti/win7x64 pc, I just checked... 😳

mvgdo3.jpg

Last edited by keropi on 2012-02-19, 13:12. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 19, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try to test with Voodoos removed. Maybe D3d mode use Voodoos, not the Gf.
Tested the game with my WinME PC (P4 3.0 GHz, X850 PE Agp). Working perfectly.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the game definitely uses the gf4 because it is running at 1280X1024/32bit color... and is way smother than glide renderer... plus the same happens with glide, the problem lies elsewhere... but just to be sure I tried it with v2's disabled, still the same... also tried with EAX off, no change....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If it runs fine on the other machines it can only be a buggy driver, I think. Or a compatibility issue with the gf4.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I payed attention the the character's movement, the frames are there but are executer very slowly, like the book pages...
Dominus, the same thing happens with glide rendering , the game natively supports it and you get the 3dfx logo too... do you thing the gf4 has anything to do with glide rendering?

Reply 5 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't know but it has something to do with your system 😉
Tinker, pull the V2 out, replace the gf4 (if you can). Try different drivers... Try the different stages of hardware acceleration in the directx control panel

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 19, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SBlive has always been a headache for me in several aspects. Try different drivers for it or replacing with a different soundcard.

Reply 7 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sblive problem? the game's sound runs perfectly...?

I will try it witn the onboard sound , just to be sure 😊

edit: completely removed sblive and drivers and using onboard ac'97 audio: still the same but with worst sound quality 🤣 and awful (software) EAX implementation

Reply 9 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ever thought that it's because Ultima IX is just very buggy? 😀

One thing that'll help is turning off compressed textures - the GF4 can handle it, but U9's implementation in the loader seems to be broken

You might also try forcing Vsync in the video driver, perhaps U9 doesn't know what a framerate of 67fps is.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

using either compressed/uncompressed textures makes no difference... or 8/16bit ones... remember the same problem happens with the native glide renderer... Also tried forcing VSYNC with rivatuner, still the same...
I captured a vid with fraps, it shows better what is wrong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdgAnyrsaXs

Reply 11 of 19, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try upgrading every driver you can (except for video ones, proven that it's not their fault). Maybe chipset drivers will do the trick. and remember to use dxwebsetup.exe to keep directx with the latest update. I remember getting some jerkiness on some setups without the chipset drivers. Try dual-booting the machine with WinXP if you can and see if the game runs with the same problem. What gives if you enable Hyper-Threading?

Reply 13 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did slow down the cpu to 1.2ghz Davros... also I doubt this matters because it runs almost fine on my i7/3.4ghz pc...
The webmaster of ultimaaiera was kind enough to make a news item of my experience, maybe some dedicated Ultima fans have faced this before... check it here: http://www.ultimaaiera.com/blog/a-curious-ultima-9-issue/

Reply 14 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Can you try ripping out both graphic cards?

Reply 15 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes I can, tomorrow when I get back to my stash in my office... what do you recommend Dominus? A voodoo3/5, GeForce2, TNT1/2 ?
for now I am installing win98SE, just to be sure...

Reply 16 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Back then I had a Voodoo 5, I think. I'm prejudiced against Nvidia 😉 never owned one 😉

Reply 17 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well... I got it running fine... 😁
The solution was to install win98SE. Same hardware, driver versions, and SP2. The game just worked almost OK, except when you opened a book the game would freeze, sound would loop and it would continue after 4-5secs (same as on my i7)
The solution to this problem was to grab Ultima 9 Extended Setup , load the “geforce user” profile and save settings. Then the book problem disappeared!

After that I am changing my views on winME, it could be my hardware combo or some random bug but I am finished messing with them for my retro needs. Back then I was using them without probs (even u9 run OK but my hardware was weak for it) but things and hardware changed now and I am not going back to a p3/500 with a s3/v2-sli setup to stay compatible with ME 🤣
It all seems fine now!

Reply 18 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Great! Congrats and have fun playing U9 😉

Oh and take a look at beautiful Brittania project