VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BelchFire

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Moderators, if this belongs in a different forum, by all means, move it. However, since I'm playing a DOS game under DOSBox, this seems like the appropriate place to me.

I've loaded DOSBox 0.74 and have Aces of the Pacific running fine as the administrator on XP Home Edition (unknown, unmodified DELL machine). Aces runs fine.

I have read the README on DOSBox and found the userconf stuff. I've played with that for two days now, trying to get it running with no luck. My issue is this; when I'm logged in as "me" with Administrator's privileges, it plays fine. When I load Aces under one of my kids' accounts with "limited" privileges, it starts to load, plays the intro, then crashes and I get a shell system error message and the game dumps me back to the DOSBox prompt. I can run under the other user accounts if I first change them to show Administrator's privileges, but that's not the way I want to leave it with my kids browsing.

Is there something in DOSBox that will allow something useful on this issue? Is there a windows work-around (other than buying and installing XP Professional)?

TIA,
BelchFire

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This isn't a DOSBox issue but rather a game issue.

Grant the users full or write permissions to the game folder.

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windowsx … ile-permissions

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by BelchFire

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DosFreak, I want to thank you for your solution. It worked perfectly. You could have very easily replied "Not a DOSBox issue." and gone on about your business, but I greatly appreciate the link. It's got us all smiling and smoking the bogies!

As a note to other users; I would NOT recommend the DOS prompt/cacls method. I used the cacls command to add permission to both users who were having trouble and then the root user could no longer access the directory. Nor could I learn how to "undo" any of the user permissions that I had assigned. The only way I could get out of it was to boot into Safe Mode, sign in as the root Administrator and allow full access to the directory to anyone at all. Problem solved.

DosFreak; thank you VERY MUCH.

BelchFire