VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by yodadog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to run Apache95 in dosbox on a win 7 64 bit os. Ive gotten to the cd in dos but all .exe return a "This s a windows 95 executable". How do I get past this point. There do not seem to be any .bat or .com files on the CD. Thanks-yodadog

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSbox only plays DOS games NOT Windows games.

Either find the DOS version of the game and play it in DOSBox or play the Windows version in Windows.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by yodadog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To the best of my knowledge, the only windows version of this game is 95, the one i have on cd, which won't install on win 7. The readme file on the cd refers to an autoexec.bat file to use in dos, but I cant find it on the cd, so I am trying to run it thru Dosbox. IN Dosbox, when I go to execute the .exe file to start the game (or any other .exe file for that matter), it returns the message mentioned in my first post. how do I get it to execute the file and run the game?

Reply 3 of 8, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't. You will need to use a virtual machine with an appropriate version of windows installed.

Some people have managed to install win 95 inside dosbox but this is definitely not for beginners.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 8, by yodadog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When it comes to dos, I am a total beginner. On the Dosbox website, it lists Apache as a supported game-is Dosbox only for running dos versions of any supported games and not to run early windows versions on newer os's? And thanks to both of you for the replies!

Reply 5 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes DOSBox is for DOS games.

Most early Windows games were 16bit and had a 16bit installer or were 32bit and had a 16bit installer.

Almost all 16bit Windows installers cannot be run on 64bit Windows and NO 16bitWindows programs can be run on 64bit Windows.

To run all 16bit Windows installers and programs on Windows 7 64bit you will need to install a 32bit version of Windows as a guest OS in one of the following: Virtual PC/Vmware/VirtualBox/Parallels, etc.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 8, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depending on which edition is your Win7, you could get a free Virtual Machine with Windows XP installed from Microsoft. Apache 95 will install inside it.

Reply 7 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yodadog dont use autorun
open the cd and double click on setup.exe

you will find apache crashes in win64 but it may (last tested in xp) work in glide mode with a wrapper
you need to patch apache to 1.2 then update it in a very specific way (dont get this bit wrong)

patch to 1.2
unzip 3dfx patch to folder
unzip common files to folder (in the readme )
run 3dfx patch

read my posts about hind here
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3322188/2.html

3dfx patch for apache
http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=eng&sys=p … 3dfx.zip&ref=ps

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness