VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by saki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to figure out if I can get this old game to run on my computer (Windows 7 Home Premium in 64bit), and I haven't found a way to get it to work. It's downloadable from the original company's forums here (listed as "Exile I"), but I guess it's incompatible with either Windows 7 or with a 64bit computer.

I'm probably revealing my ignorance here, as I really don't know what I'm doing, but I tried running it with DOSBOX, and I got a message saying "This program must be run under Microsoft Windows." Does anyone know if there's a way I might be able to play it?

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Windows games don't run in Dosbox normally. Exile1 might be so old that it is a Windows 3.x game so when you install Windows 3.x in Dosbox you might be able to run it that way.
Or use the XP mode in Windows 7 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Btw, I played this game back then and newer games by spiderweb are better 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 5, by Arcane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Under 3.1, the transparency of images is completely messed up and unpleasant, so you've got everyone running around in their own personal white boxes. While I appreciate the clear indicators of personal space and I'm sure my party's immensely relieved by its clarification, the game's unplayable like this.

XP Mode is only available on at least Windows 7 Professional, so it's out of the question for me. I'm on Home Premium.

I've tried DOSBOX and Basilisk II (horrendous effort so I'm taking a break) with the DOS and Mac versions of Exile 3, respectively. It's one of my favorite games of all time and Avernum doesn't really compare.

Reply 4 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The latest ver of Windows Virtual PC works fine on Windows 7 Home the "XP" mode is just a .VHD with Windows XP on it wrapped in a installer.

You can also use Virtual PC 2007 on Windows 7 if you want.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline