VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi vogons,
I need your suggestions. I run Baldur's Gate + TotSC on my retro rig and experience screen choppiness by scrolling especially when exploring new areas or during battles. In other situations everything is smooth. Is there some reason for it?
My rig is: AMD Athlon 1GHz, Voodoo 5 5500, 256 MB RAM, Win98 SE
In game configuration, I tried with various values for buffer (or whatever it's called): 300, 500, 1000 MB, but didn't change anything.
The whole system seems to work correct (3dmarks & other games).
Is there anything I can do with it?

Reply 2 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why don't you run Baldur's Gate on a modern rig? AFAIK there's nothing about Baldur's Gate that requires a retro rig..... I guess if you wanted to be anal you could say EAX but I've never heard anyone rave about EAX in Baldur's Gate anyway.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2012-03-16, 12:52. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try changing the mouse scrolling rate in the options? By default the mouse scrolls very slowly. Also, try increasing the AI rate from 30 to something higher, like 40-45. I assume your drive has been defragged, is not on its last gig or as slow as molasses.

Also, if you are using the Complete Saga, that version compresses its files. So the extra work of decompressing the files may be a bit too much for your machine, stupid as that may seem.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 5 of 6, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Software Blitting and Software Transparency tend to slow down the Infinity Engine games. Turn these off if they're on.

Copy the folders on the discs and edit the path in Baldur.ini so that they're read from the hard drive.

The Infinity Engine games should work great in Windows XP. I know Planescape: Torment was particular about how it displayed spell animations with certain driver versions installed. For that game I found that Virtual PC running Windows 98 worked just fine.

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Or use GemRB, an infinity engine remake
Gemrb.org

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper