VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

May i ask if anyone has come across this problem before with old win 95/98 games please?

My above mentioned games install fine but when come to running complain about a minus amount of memory available to play the games when in fact there is 8 GB in there. I understand this is an old game designed in the days when 16 & 32 MB of RAM were huge but does anyone know of a way to trick the exe's (Short of hacking it) into running? Maybe an option in the microsoft application compatibility? I have looked but found nothing.

I am running MacOS but with a virtual machine running xp. Would love to get these working as it has 3dfx support too through nglide. I have got this working through wineskin on mac with a command ulimit in the advanced config just wondering if there is anything similar within xp. Many thanks!

Reply 2 of 3, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I't's likely that you've got too much memory allocated to the virtual machine. Like jaqie says, lower the allocated memory down to 512MB or possibly even 256MB and see what happens.

Reply 3 of 3, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks to you both. The games work fine after giving xp in the vm just 512MB anything over that and they just crap out. Thanks very much it could be a good trick to help me with others sometime