VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mikeypizano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can I install programs to them without getting an error when I boot up that says the working directory is invalid? My hard drive is too small for a lot of stuff to fit so I tried to install Lotus Smart Suite onto my parallel zip drive and when booted up, I get the working directory is wrong error.

Reply 1 of 6, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mikeypizano wrote:

Can I install programs to them without getting an error when I boot up that says the working directory is invalid? My hard drive is too small for a lot of stuff to fit so I tried to install Lotus Smart Suite onto my parallel zip drive and when booted up, I get the working directory is wrong error.

That very bad idea why not just add more harddrive space

Reply 3 of 6, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That it would good a idea to get one off ebay or if want some people are switching to Flash Modules.
As for why it a bad idea well becuase Zip disk medium composed of a disk of thin and flexible magnetic storage medium just like floppy disk and pron to get disk failurer over time and the parallel zip drive is dead slow if had IDE ver it may have work better but you still have same disk failurer problem to over time and some it can be rigth way that why it a very bad idea there good for storeage but that about it.
You really should think about Harddriver or may want think about Compact Flash IDE Adapter or SSD PATA or SSD IDE or IDE Flash Modules.
Just keep that mind if I recall everything rigth below
That work just fine but just keep in mind that Bios and disk size play key roll in making everthing work.
Depend on the OS and your Bios have there a hard disks as practically limited the maximum partition size.
MSDos 7.1 with FAT32 137GB Windows 95B to WinME
MSDos 7.0 with FAT16 32GB Windows 95
MSDos 6 FAT16 2GB
MSDos 5 FAT16 512MB
MSDos 4 FAT16 128MB
MSDos 3 FAT16 32MB
MSDos 2 FAT12 16MB

Depend on MSDos ver (which belive was ver 4 that allow up to 2GB) you have it allow for FDISK to partition hard disks up to 2 gigabytes (GB) in size. However, the MS-DOS file allocation table (FAT) file system can support only 2 GB per partition. Because of this fact, a hard disk between 2+ and 8 GB in size must be broken down into multiple partitions, each of which does not exceed 2 GB with a max of 8GB as in one Primary and one Extended partition with max of 3 Logical partitions if I call rigth.
It also depend on motherboard bios in some caes you have no option but use a drive overlay software if your computer's BIOS is too old to recognize hard drives over a certain size. Other option is get a lot newer EIDE, ATA or SCSI controller depend on Slot bus you need which can be ISA, VLB, PCI slot.

Reply 4 of 6, by mikeypizano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, well let me ask this. I have a SoungBlaster 16 card, and it has an IDE connection on the card. Can I get a IDE to CF adapter, and use that in the SB16? I want to keep the original hard drive, which has DOS 6.20 and Windows 3.1 on it. So it would boot off the 240MB HDD and then show the IDE to CF as a second hard drive.

Reply 5 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Will you please take more care in writing your posts, Mr. shspvr ? They are very difficult to read!

mikeypizano wrote:

That error message probably has more to do with how you installed the program and less to do with it being on a Zip drive.

mikeypizano wrote:

Ok, well let me ask this. I have a SoungBlaster 16 card, and it has an IDE connection on the card.

That IDE connector is strictly for particular models of CD-ROM drives. It will not work with hard drives, and definitely not with an IDE to CF adapter.

I want to keep the original hard drive, which has DOS 6.20 and Windows 3.1 on it.

Why can't you just copy the contents of that drive to another, larger drive?

Reply 6 of 6, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sorry Jorpho your haveing a hard time reading what I wrote I'm not worlds greatest at spelling word thing.
Yup as Jorpho rigth said that not going to work it has to with the fact the sound card don't have bios chip so it only read CD/DVDRom drive.
Your motherboard should have a 2nd IDE Interface Port that way you add up to 4 device drives just matter setting the jumper so everthing work.