VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by The Doctor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I recently came into possession of 'Star Trek: Starfleet Academy' (5 CD version). I installed it on my Windows 7 (64bit) desktop, and then put it to run in WinXP compatibility mode so as to get rid of the graphical distortions. That fixed that. BUT, there's still a major, major problem that I can't find any help on. On both the menu, and in the Bridge gameplay, the screen keeps turning to black. I have to move my cursor around to get rid of the blackness, only for the screen to go black a few seconds later. Naturally, this makes the game completely unplayable. Google yields practically no results - the only thing relevant being a thread on this forum from someone with the same problem, but who found the solution by uninstalling a piece of software called SpywareGuard. I literally installed SpywareGuard and then uninstalled it right afterwards to see if that would fix it. It didn't. I've patched the game to 1.5, but I still have no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. I'm at my wits end and ANY help would be deeply appreciated.

Here's hoping someone can help me out!

Reply 3 of 3, by The Doctor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I tried it on non-SFAD3D. It happens way more frequently. Example: in the 'Settings' portion of the menu, on SFA it happens constantly. On SFAD3D Settings menu, it barely happens at all - just som quick flickers that are barely noticeable. So that's something, I guess? Problem is, it still happens very obtrusively during Bridge gameplay. So, our problem is that we need to figure out how to eliminate it, or at least lower it to the point where it's unobtrusive to gameplay.

I'm curious; was a solution ever found for other Interplay games such as the Fallout games? Maybe that could help us out somehow.