VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Man I'm getting sick of trying to get decent sound options for my retro machines. My current battle involves trying to play games like Duke3d, Blood, Cybermage, etc in Windows 95.

These games were released around '95 so I'm assuming I should be able to run them in Win95 without restarting in MS-DOS mode. I've tried various sound cards with a view to using an NEC XR385, my current setup involves a non plug and play SB16 for FX, and a plug and play vibra with a wavetable header with the DB on it.

This works fine in the sound setup program for Duke3d for example - testing the FX and music work as expected. And if I "save settings and run duke 3d" it also works fine. But if I run the game directly from duke3d.exe, it can't detect my MPU-401. Same goes for Blood - works fine in the setup program, but the actual game fails.

Cybermage FX work OK (in the setup program) but it can't detect MPU-401 at all.

These are ISA cards obviously but I've tried a PCI Diamond Monster card too - this thing can emulate a SB pro and has a wavetable header. Seems to work OK for Duke and Blood but Cybermage errors out completely, it doesn't seem to like clones.

I have a couple more cards to try but am I missing some fundamental Windows 95 concept? Why are these games having trouble finding the MIDI port in a dosbox? I've installed the relevant drivers and checked the MIDI config under 'control panel -> multimedia', it all seems to be OK.

Any help appreciated.

Reply 1 of 9, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back when I had a SB 32 PnP I had to install Win 3.x drivers for the card to work properly in DOS games. They included some TSR that fixed everything.

Reply 2 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the suggestion filipetolhuizen, BTW your avatar freaks me out somewhat.

I tried an Ensoniq Soundscape S-2000 I've had sitting around in the shed and I'm impressed, never tried one before. Nativity supported by the relevant games and sounds great to my ears. I have an AudioPCI card hanging around here somewhere too which I understand has soundscape emulation + reverb, etc (which the soundscape doesn't). I might give it a go too.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You will definitely need the Windows drivers for your SB16. Pretty sure that Windows needs a driver for the MPU401 interface.

But yea, this is one of the reasons I don't like to mix DOS and Windows. I always recommend dedicated machines for each tasks.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 9, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was having a problem with some games like doom and wacky wheels not working with the midi out on both my SB16 and AWE64 this program fixed it for me.

http://www.dcee.net/Files/Music/Blaster/sbmpu401.arj

Is midi out working ok in dos?

Reply 5 of 9, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SB32 PnP MPU401 only worked fine for DOS games under Win9x. Under pure DOS I had to load a different TSR which made the machine lock up or reboot as soon as the MIDI started.
-OT-
I know it's kinda scary, it's just that I found it damn funny. 🤣

Reply 6 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The way I set up my Midi choices in my Dell was like this:

--internal cards--
SB AWE-32 for both DOS and Win98
Gravis Ultrasound 2.1 (strictly DOS)
Yamaha XG knock off daughterboard (Win98 only)

--external--
Roland MT-32, 1st Gen
Roland SC-55 mk. I

Both of the external synths I run through the AWE-32's gameport. It's IRQ hell, but to coin a phrase, "60% of the time, it works every time!" 😁 I look back over the past 5-6 years of my life and can't believe I actually spent all that money on Midi. So worth it.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 7 of 9, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmrydholm wrote:
The way I set up my Midi choices in my Dell was like this: […]
Show full quote

The way I set up my Midi choices in my Dell was like this:

--internal cards--
SB AWE-32 for both DOS and Win98
Gravis Ultrasound 2.1 (strictly DOS)
Yamaha XG knock off daughterboard (Win98 only)

--external--
Roland MT-32, 1st Gen
Roland SC-55 mk. I

Both of the external synths I run through the AWE-32's gameport. It's IRQ hell, but to coin a phrase, "60% of the time, it works every time!" 😁 I look back over the past 5-6 years of my life and can't believe I actually spent all that money on Midi. So worth it.

jesus that would be IRQ hell, found it hard enough with just one SB16, took me almost an hour to figure out that doom needed the 8-bit IRQ not the 16bit =P

my life runs on X86

Reply 8 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's kind of funny is I just installed an Ensoniq ES1370-PCI in my Windows 2000 machine, yet the drivers that Windows installed list it as a "Sound Blaster." I also can't get DirectX to play sounds from hardware buffers on it, but maybe that's just a limitation of the card? I heard that particular model is ideal for Dos compatibility in PCI. (Besides, I always wanted a non-Creative Ensoniq!) I've PM'ed SquallStrife for some assistance on that.

I actually jumpered the Ultrasound in my other computer to IRQ 11, set the AWE32 to IRQ7, run a TSR in DOS, and run the external synths off a USB to Midi cable. I also only use the Gravis card in DOS, so it amazingly all works and sounds awesome. Basically I've converted my Optiplex into an ultimate DOS music machine/MIDI instrument.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 9 of 9, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't a lot of money to spend on things like that right now, but next on my list of computer hardware to pickup is a SBAWE32 and a gravis ultrasound. Right now all i've got is 2 common place SB16's. (though i must say i'm far better off than most people. having 6 working desktops's and all =P)

my life runs on X86