VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey there, I have a copy of windows 3.11 for workgroups that came with my gateway 2000 computer, looking in the back of the manual I noticed this "There is an anomaly with the windows for workgroups 3.11. When windows for Workgroups 3.11 is installed from the cd-rom drive, the installation does not permit the user to enter the organization Name and Serial Number. During the installation process, when prompted for these items, bypass the prompts by striking the enter key."

Reply 2 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Interesting, I combined my WfW onto a single folder and installing from that prompts me but I think I never tried to install it from the CD, only from the hard drive....

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 8, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and I installed it in dosbox, and it did just that, it basically took anything you put in the key field. 🤣 "billgatessuckswhyamInotusinglinux" (though it cut half of it off. 🤣)

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 6 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

The serials for W3x were more for technical support obligations rather than a form of copy protection, which helped MS's PC world domination

That and ignoring piracy of 95 as well.

Reply 7 of 8, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think windows 2K was the last one where you could use the same serial endlessly. (could be wrong) for earlier windows versions the serial was like it was on a lot of games, it could be used endlessly. making game serial key websites possible. 😁

my life runs on X86

Reply 8 of 8, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny Windows license key story. Back when I worked at Software Etc., I found jammed behind the shelves a packet labelled something like "Windows for Workgroups Workstation Step-up Upgrade". It was literally nothing more then a license key for WfW 3.11 and was intended to upgrade a 3.10 based machine. The price.... a penny. I had to buy it, my co-workers were amazed that it ran up for a penny.... I paid more in sales tax!