VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ford Racing 2 (by Razorworks/Empire) won't work on Vista/Win7 as it tries to use an old WMA method of playing audio that's been removed from Vista/Win7, even if you disable the audio in the setup program. When you start the game and put in your name it exits with an error "WMA:347 Failed to create the Wma_source_filter"

If you Google "ford racing 2 wma" you'll find many other people talking about it.

Here's a bit about the removed WMA filter: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US … b-f441f8d61c63/

And a bit more here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US … 0a-d4937693691e

It seems that the wma filter used DirectShow, which is not supported in Vista/Win7.

Ford Racing 3 works fine, as it's a bit newer and plays a different music format.

Is there anyone out there who could hack the game so it doesn't call to the WMA filter, or do something even more clever? Or is it a case of trying to hunt down the programmers and asking if they can still help?

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2012-05-16, 22:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 32, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

demo : converting the music from wma 8 to wma 9 no error msg but, game ctd's on loading screen
converting to wav but renaming to wma error msg is back

ps: the game demo comes with WMFDist.exe
I forgot all about it untill after I uninstalled the game
no idea if it helps

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

These links are bad.

Reply 4 of 32, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I updated the links in the original post 😀

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 5 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oddly, neither of those threads mentions MSSclient – an open-source client for MMS streams. If that is indeed what is required, that's part of the work done already.

Reply 6 of 32, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No progress then 🙁

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 7 of 32, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got in touch with the lead programmer but he said no one can help fix it 🙁

Reply 8 of 32, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Impressive that you got in contact with him. Did he say why he couldn't help? Was it because of legal issues or because of technical?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 32, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found him through MobyGames > LinkedIn > his homepage.

He said:

"Thanks for your email – Yes, the good old days of Ford Racing... I actually owned Razorworks at the time

Unfortunately I am not able to alter FR2 in any way – sorry!

Ford Street Racing was pretty good as well if you want another Ford-based game... "

Then when I asked more (about Total Immersion Racing amongst other things), he said:

"Ah, TIR – that was an interesting project. It was our first racing game and first console game (we developed PS and Xbox at the same time). I wrote the car handling which was pretty awful! – I also wrote the handing/physics model for all the FR series.

Unfortunately no one will be able to help with Fr2... sorry!"

Which sounds pretty much like he knows some reason no one should be able to!

Reply 10 of 32, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is sad 🙁 Too bad he couldn't be more specific. My guess is that he think he needs the source code to make the change which he does not have access to at the current moment.

Still I wouldn't give up hope, some bright individual with reverse engineering / crack skills might find a way 😀

Reply 11 of 32, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where else could I ask? Assembler Games I may have used the wrong forum but it got no replies.

Reply 12 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why not just play the game in VirtualBox or VMware?

vetz wrote:

My guess is that he think he needs the source code to make the change which he does not have access to at the current moment.

Yes, exactly.

If it is in fact trying to connect to a local MMS stream, does TCPView from Sysinternals provide some indication of the activity?

Reply 14 of 32, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

Why not just play the game in VirtualBox or VMware?

Do they have direct3d support?

I know VMware has Direct3D support in Windows XP. Windows 98 + Direct3D is not supported by any virtualization software as far as I am aware.

Reply 15 of 32, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah VMware player does D3D in XP, so worst case that's the only way to play it. Ford Racing 3 works in Win7 tho, its purely how they played the music soundtrack I think, and turning off the sound doesn't even help, as the filter is still being called.

If anyone wants to have a go then the Ford Racing 2 demo has the same issue.

Reply 17 of 32, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no news is bad news then, in this case. Ho hum!

Reply 18 of 32, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooh, might have a solution! http://www.wsgf.org/forum/forums/gaming/reque … fix-needed-not-