VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Fiery Phoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using the DosBox front end D-Fend.

Not had a problem getting all the other later CD-ROM adventures running on this, X-Files, Tex Murphy, etc - but I have some difficulty in this game.

I have linked the ISO's all up in the drives section but I can't install the game to my virtual drive - I keep getting an error message in dosbox.

When I enter d: and then DIR to look at the contents of the folder and choose the Setup - I get ' This program requires Microsoft Windows'

However if I link the Titanic application icon by using the Wizard to add a Windows game profile - it states it's a DOS executable.

Any idea's?

Reply 1 of 12, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fiery Phoenix wrote:

However if I link the Titanic application icon by using the Wizard to add a Windows game profile - it states it's a DOS executable.

"Last Chance To See" by Douglas Adams - the same problem.

Klimawandel.

Reply 3 of 12, by Fiery Phoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I mentioned above - I have many newer Windows Only games running on D-Fend, X-Files, Back to the Future episodes, etc - so Titanic should be able to be installed and run via DosBox/D-Fend

Reply 4 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, it won't be using DOSBox. It is not that hard to get the game to run on Vista/Win7, but it has a very nasty bug where it crashes when you try to save or open a game. The game has two executables; a 16-bit for Win3x and a 32-bit for Win9x. Playing around with compatibility mode can get the game started, but unless you want to play the game straight through in one sitting without mistakes, it is not worth it. I have been meaning to go through ACT to see if I can find just the right balance of compatibility settings to address both the graphical glitches and the save bug, but have not had the time.

If you want to play this game on modern Windows, you are best off to use a VM with Windows 9x installed.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moving this to the Windows forum, as DOSBox is not involved.

What version of Windows are you trying to run it on (XP/Vista/7)? Even more importantly, is it a 32-bit or 64-bit version?

If you're running on 64-bit and the game is so old that it uses a 16-bit installer (as was common throughout the Win 3.1 and Win9x eras), then the installer will not run.

Reply 6 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a 16-bit installer. I had gone as far as writing a 32-bit replacement installer, but shelved it when I couldn't solve the save bug right away.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone should port Wine's 16-bit compatibility layer back to Windows x64. I've used Wine to install multiple 16-bit installer games under 64-bit Ubuntu.

Reply 8 of 12, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Well, it won't be using DOSBox. It is not that hard to get the game to run on Vista/Win7, but it has a very nasty bug where it crashes when you try to save or open a game. The game has two executables; a 16-bit for Win3x and a 32-bit for Win9x. Playing around with compatibility mode can get the game started, but unless you want to play the game straight through in one sitting without mistakes, it is not worth it. I have been meaning to go through ACT to see if I can find just the right balance of compatibility settings to address both the graphical glitches and the save bug, but have not had the time.

If you want to play this game on modern Windows, you are best off to use a VM with Windows 9x installed.

Hi, does this game still crash when saving? Thanks.

Reply 10 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vogamer wrote:
collector wrote:

Hi, does this game still crash when saving? Thanks.

http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f= … &p=51291#p51291

Reply 11 of 12, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually Titanic runs just fine even on Windows 10. I have it on my PC(Windows 10 64-bit) and it works flawless. You can use a no-cd patch for better performance and you're good to go. Saving works too. The game is fully playable and can be completed. If you have a 64-bit system you have to install the game somewhere(emulator or other PC) else first then copy TITANIC folder to your disc.

Reply 12 of 12, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have a 64-bit system you have to install the game somewhere(emulator or other PC) else first then copy TITANIC folder to your disc.

Or use either of the aforementioned replacement installers.

play-old-pc-games.com