VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Running this on a Celeron 500 (Mendocino) in a 440LX mobo with 128 MB RAM, Voodoo2 SLI, and SB Live.

I expected it to stretch the system, but here are a couple of strange issues:

1. The intro with the Eidos and Quantim Dream splash screens renders fine with the "Primary Display Driver", but is all screwed up with the "Voodoo2 DirectX 7 Driver." However, the game itself renders fine with both drivers - except that framerate is definitely superior with the Voodoo2 DirectX 7 Driver. I'd like to have both my intro screens and an optimal framerate, if possible.

2. Stuttering on the Sneak screen. I can see it in little pauses in the fake "static" that the game gives you on the screen of your Sneak, and when I'm examining an object and its 3D model is rotating in front of me. The stuttering is there with both drivers mentioned above, and at lower resolutions.

Is there maybe a particular driver that's recommended for use with Omikron?

Reply 1 of 4, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recommend you to try different drivers for the Voodoo2 and see what suits you best, I'm sure there are some floating around the net. What is your primary card? BTW, drivers for the SBLive could be dreadful too.

Reply 2 of 4, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 2D is an ATI Xpert 98. Both Voodoo2's are Diamond Monster 3D II's.

I found this during my driver search:

http://omikrongame.blogspot.com/1998/03/week- … g-march-16.html

The big news this week is the take-off of the Voodoo 2 conversion. Eidos and 3DFX came to an agreement to port Omikron to the 3DFX new 3D card. We got some cards and our first impression is extremely positive. Even in Direct 3D the game runs much faster on Voodoo 2 than on the other 3D cards we have tried. The agreement with 3DFX means producing a Voodoo 2 dedicated version using the Glide library.

I haven't been able to find anything more on that, though. 🙁 I'll definitely try disabling sound and seeing if anything improves, although I've already got the latest SB Live drivers and leaving sound off isn't an option, especially with this game.