VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had Need For Speed 2: Special Edition working 100% perfect on my Win98SE system. I'd also installed it on a low-spec XP laptop in the past without any problems. Of course when I try to install it on my new dual core system, I have nothing but problems.

I searched and found the guide on this forum on how to use the Application Compatibility manager to get the game to run;

Getting Need For Speed II SE working on XPSP3

I followed the instructions to the letter for both the software version and the hardware version. (the software version has some things that the hardware version doesn't, like the ability to drive at night)

The software version won't even start. The screen goes black and that's about it. The Glide version (using DGVoodoo) seems to work, but there is is horrible lag even on the menu.

I then tried following RedRork's settings, which are the same as given in a YouTube video for how to get it running. Setting just those three things allows the software version to run, but it looks like it's running at about half speed. The hardware version seems OK, until you try to set the controls and then it takes about five seconds to respond to each key press or controller movement. Once you set the controls and start the race, everything appears to be normal, until you get near the other cars and then the game lags so badly it's unplayable.

I also tried the same three settings with the SingleProcAffinity setting. No change whatsoever. If anything, it lagged worse.

I know my onboard Intel graphics aren't state of the art, but I can't believe that they're not up to the challenge of running a 15 year old game.

Can anyone tell me the secret to actually getting this game working properly on a dual core system with XP-SP3?

Reply 1 of 7, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 3Dfx version using DGVoodoo works perfectly here on a Vista 32 bit, Core 2 Duo system. But I have a Geforce GTS 250 card.

Here are the settings I am using in Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit.

______

EmulateCDFS, EmulateGetFreeDiskSpace, GlobalMemoryStatusLie, Ignore Exception, MapMemoryB0000, SingleProcAffinity.

______

Regarding DGVoodoo settings, use the default ones, except changing rendering API to Directdraw7 & Directx7 in Global tab, and in Glide tab, make sure to enable Use hardware vertex buffers to get proper speed.

As a side note, I have an X-Fi card, and using Alchemy for NFS2SE fixes all audio corruption that I was experiencing. Even though NFS2SE doesn't use EAX, it still makes good use of the patched dsound.dll, because it is obviously using Directsound.

That's all, hope it works out for you. 😀

Reply 2 of 7, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
doomer wrote:

The 3Dfx version using DGVoodoo works perfectly here on a Vista 32 bit, Core 2 Duo system. But I have a Geforce GTS 250 card.

Here are the settings I am using in Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit.

Thanks, but unfortunately that didn't help at all. I made sure to copy your settings exactly, but I get the exact same results as before. It seems to work, but when setting the controls, the menus behave as if it's a 25Mhz system, the race starts OK (if you don't count the stutter as the camera moves up to the starting line) and then as soon as you get close to the other cars, it slows down to about 5 FPS.

Reply 3 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try nGlide.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 7, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

Try nGlide.

Ok, I'll try it. However a problem with the glide wrapper wouldn't affect the software rendering version of the game, because that doesn't use 3D hardware at all. Yet, no matter what fixes I try, the software version runs even worse than the 3D version. My old Win98SE system used to run both perfectly.

Using the suggested fixes in the Compatibility Toolkit, does the software rendered version work properly for everyone else? For me, the entire game runs at about half speed. The opening logo takes at least twice as long to come up, the game itself runs slow, etc.

Reply 5 of 7, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I made a fix for it. You need ACT 5.x to use it. However, it doesn't correct the messed up colours.

Attachments

• Filename
    nfs2sen7.rar
    File size
    482 Bytes
    Downloads
    275 downloads
    File comment
    NFS2SE fix for Windows 7, software only.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Weird, it works fine on my XP SP3, at least it did the last time I ran it. I might have used compatibility toolkit, would need to look into it to remember, but I know you have to copy across the nfssea executable for 3Dfx then I used DGVoodoo as it was more compatible than Zeckensack... but nGlide is probably better now. I can look into it later on.

I believe the software version runs fine too, will check to see what's going on when I remember heh

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 7 of 7, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the 3dfx version randomly crashes if you're not running it on Single Process Affinity mode, as well as the software version and the original NFS SE, but this causes massive stutterings on the 3dfx version and NFSSE. NFS2SEN and NFS2 do not exhibit this.