VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheArkive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here I will post some of my findings that help me to get Homeworld 1 working with my unique setup.

Current Specifications

• Make: iBUYPOWER (Laptop)
    Model: CZ-12
    Processor: Intel Core i7-2860QM @ 2.5GHz
    Cache: Level 3 8MB
    Motherboard: Compal PBL21
    Chipset: Intel Sandy Bridge Rev 09
    Southbridge: Intel HM65 Rev B2
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 PC3-10700
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Rev A1
    * DRIVER: v301.42 (from LaptopVideo2Go.com, not using modded INF)
    * This should be the same as the v301.42 driver from the NVIDIA site.
    Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio / NVIDIA High Def Audio (HDMI)
    Projector: Optoma PRO360W (via HDMI)

Naturally the odd part of this setup is the projector. This may apply to a setup with an external monitor via HDMI.
NOTE: Using the laptop screen instead of an external monitor/projector makes these settings unnecessary (but it won't/shouldn't break anything).

PROBLEM: Homeworld main screen won't show either because the application won't stay active, or there's a black screen with sound. Constant changing of screen resolution is also occurring.

SOLUTION: Edit the registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sierra On-Line\Homeworld

• deviceToSelect = d3d

I found best results come from setting the screen resolution and color depth to the same as your desktop. The less homeworld.exe has to change the screen settings the better.

In my case, resolution is 1280x720 and color depth is 32, so...

• screenHeight = 720
    screenWidth = 1280
    screenDepth = 32

NOTE: These settings are in hexadecimal format in the registry, so when editing manually change the "Base" to "decimal".

The attached file is a REG file that applies the settings you see in this post. If your screen resolution is different then I suggest you just manually edit the registry instead of using the attached file.

The rest of what you find on Google still applies:

• Compatibility: Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5
    [√] Disable Desktop Composition
    [√] Run as Administrator

Attachments

• Filename
    Homeworld_HDMI_FIX.zip
    File size
    361 Bytes
    Downloads
    227 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

nX5T4cc88914bdedb.png

Reply 1 of 2, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suspect that this is somewhat graphics adapter related as for me, the game runs fine right out of the box. But then, it is not a laptop.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 2, by TheArkive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game worked out of the box for me too, but when I tried using my projector (casting an 8 ft image on my wall 😎 ) that is where things got a little tricky.

The delay in switching screen resolutions on a projector is much slower, and in some cases can cause other unexpected problems. This post describes how I overcame that.

nX5T4cc88914bdedb.png