VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings all!

As of right now I have a tricked out non-stock Windows 98SE install, however games such as GTA3 require at least Windows 2000 to install, and I don't think KernelEX can "trick" it into installing. My "Classic Gaming Rig" specs meet the recommended requirements for the game, however im not just a Windows gamer im also a DOS gamer so I do have some concerns if I decide to use Windows 2000 [it's what I used to use "back in the day" but it's been forever ago so I don't remember if what im about to ask worked or not].

My question is this, if I installed DOS games and DOS drivers [SB16 stuff] on the same Windows 2000 HDD, and booted into DOS with a DOS boot floppy disk [created with either Win98SE or Windows 2000] will those games run properly complete with sound, etc?

Thanks in advance. 😀

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 1 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the disk is formatted as NTFS, the answer is no. MS-DOS won't work with NTFS.

If you installed Windows 2000 in a FAT partition, maybe. Only FreeDOS and the newer MS-DOS included with Windows 98 will work with FAT32 partitions, but almost every modern DOS (where modern >= 3.31) will work with FAT16 partitions.

I would try to make a DOS - Windows 2000 dual boot. The trick is to install MS-DOS, and hide it so Windows 2000 can't find the previous operating system. Once Windows is installed, you can "unhide" the partition so Windows 2000 can use it, and install a boot manager so you can choose which operating system will you boot.

I used that procedure to get a triple boot (DOS - Linux - Windows XP).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a system with both DOS 7.1 and Windows 2000 in the same primary FAT32 partition. At boot I can select which one to load.

With XP it is easy: when you install dos 7.1 first, then afterwards the XP installation will make it a multiboot automatically. Don't remember if 2k does this too.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeh its still that easy. Back in the day I duel booted with Win98 for games and 2k for everything else.
Like Zup said the key is to have your 1st partition Fat32 and install Win98 on that. THEN install 2k which will detect Win98 but leave it alone if you tell it.
If you install Win2k on your last partition and format it as NTFS its hidden from Win98 completely and wont mess up your drive letters if you have other partitions
But GTA3 does run in 98 so does Vice City! Why do you say it doesn’t?

Reply 4 of 7, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

But GTA3 does run in 98 so does Vice City! Why do you say it doesn’t?

You sir are correct, foiled by Wikipedia and it's misleading BS! 🤣! Looks like i'll have to edit that Wikipedia article a bit, it says the games engine REQUIRES Windows 2000/XP only it totally omits Windows 98/ME... ok done I fixed it, hopefully the moderator of that article, if any, isn't a douche and decides to change it back.

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 5 of 7, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

I have a system with both DOS 7.1 and Windows 2000 in the same primary FAT32 partition. At boot I can select which one to load.

With XP it is easy: when you install dos 7.1 first, then afterwards the XP installation will make it a multiboot automatically. Don't remember if 2k does this too.

2K certainly does it, heck, NT3.51 and 4 do it too!

When you're installing NT/2K/XP, and it detects an MS-DOS (or Win9x) installation, and you choose not to upgrade it, the installer takes a snapshot of the boot sector (the first 512 bytes) and writes it to BOOTSECT.DOS.

Then it puts a line in boot.ini like:

C:\=MS-DOS
or
C:\=Previous Windows version

When you select that option on the boot menu, ntldr starts executing the contents of bootsect.dos, and boots DOS from the partition marked active.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 7, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went ahead and installed Windows 2000 Professional SP4 + Post-SP4 Hotfixes + OnePiece Windows 2000 Post SP4 Update Pack v5.0.2 Final.

Sweet retro gods, this Pentium III system runs Doom 3!

Low settings + 1024x768 = "playable" [roughly 20fps or so in gameplay, cut scenes are between 20 - 60fps] ... ironically the lower the resolution the slower, because it's utilizing the CPU more, higher the res the faster because it's utilizing more GPU... all I can say is... o.o -- I wish it was an "smooth running" as the original Xbox version, but alas can't have it all. Then again the original Xbox version was customized for that hardware.

The box says it requires a Pentium 4 1.5Ghz and here that lowly ole Pentium III 700Mhz is, able to play Doom 3, 🤣... Pentium III the little CPU that could. 😉

Update: I temporarily overclocked the CPU from 100Mhz FSB to 120Mhz FSB effectively making the CPU 842Mhz [my RAM won't go past 120Mhz even if I set the CAS higher] and gameplay is around 30fps now... hmm, seems like i'll be wanting one of those 1.4Ghz Tualatin Pentium III's soon, or maybe i'd settle for a 1Ghz Slot-1 Coppermine Pentium III, but yeah a 1.4Ghz Tualatin sure would be rockin'! 😁

Reply 7 of 7, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
2K certainly does it, heck, NT3.51 and 4 do it too! […]
Show full quote
gerwin wrote:

2K certainly does it, heck, NT3.51 and 4 do it too!

When you're installing NT/2K/XP, and it detects an MS-DOS (or Win9x) installation, and you choose not to upgrade it, the installer takes a snapshot of the boot sector (the first 512 bytes) and writes it to BOOTSECT.DOS.

Then it puts a line in boot.ini like:

C:\=MS-DOS
or
C:\=Previous Windows version

When you select that option on the boot menu, ntldr starts executing the contents of bootsect.dos, and boots DOS from the partition marked active.

Thanks Squall! That method worked perfectly! 😁

Seeing that boot choice screen brings back memories now that I have seen it again. I guess I did indeed dual-boot DOS and Windows 2000 Pro back in the day.