VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by saintric

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I am trying to get this game to work properly on windows vista home premium 32 bit but I am having some trouble

I install and set the display to 16 and 800x600 it loads and I can navigate the menus but anytime I try to go to the track (race, practice ect) the game crashes back to the desktop I have installed 2 different copys with the same results.Does anyone have an idea of how I can fix this?

I believe the games somthing called 3dfx I have tried dosbox it says this is a win 95 exe so i tried compatabilty mode to windows 95 and still get the same problem

any help is greatly appreciated thanks

EDIT- there are 2 executables one for 3dfx which crashes after the intro and the other directx i think crashes when loading the circuit i am using a laptop with intergrated intel graphics

Reply 1 of 7, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need a "glide wrapper" to emulate 3dfx, which is a glide app based on a video card that is no longer around. Do an internet search for "dgvoodoo" and download the latest version - I use 1.5beta for example. It's easy to use - extract the files into the F1 game folder, run 'dgvoodoosetup.exe' [one of the files extracted into the game folder] to set resolution and other parameters, and go. I'm not a VISTA user but the wrapper works well in XP so I think you'll be fine. You will be able to play at much higher resolutions than 800x600... good hunting...

Reply 4 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe to install the 3Dfx version you have to put sstinit.dll and glide.dll (which you may be able to find somewhere!) into system32 so the game detects 3Dfx, allowing you to pick the Glide versions when installing. You'll also need to run the game at 16bit color only. You may need Win98 compatibility mode too.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 5 of 7, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have F1RS in storage but I think I may break it out for a 'retro' look. I remember finding throttle pedal inputs very bizar at low revs [some kind of deadzone issue but it was more than that] and never felt fully comfortable at the wheel. For open wheel racing I basically stuck with GP2 until the F1-2000/F1C series came out, then rFactor to this day.

Lots of racing games came out in the late 90's but many were half-baked. F1RS garnered critical praise at the time but I don't think it ever took off, at least not to the extent the other signature racing sims of the era did.

I read the tech link posted above and found the 3dfx version installation workarounds for Vista/W7 insteresting. Wouldn't be possible to install it as a D3D game, then just copy the requisite 3dfx exe from the CD after? Often the difference between video versions was just the game.exe. But I don't have the game in front of me so I can't be sure on this one.

Reply 6 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The sequel, Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2, handles better IMHO, plus you can run in higher resolutions, but it's not official F1 license. After that Ubisoft made F1 Racing Championship (official 99 F1 license, great GPS mapped tracks, but crazy poor AI) then Racing Simulation 3 (unofficial, made up driver and track names, missing scenery but AI improved, though sound is worse).

See my full screenshot comparison (up to 2010, I may update it in future) here http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-201 … c-compared.html

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 7 of 7, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ VIM - you're correct - they used fictitious teams to get around the license issue. Have it too and will haul them both out for a spin. As I remember the sequel was an improvement, but still dogged by input problems. Never got RS3 and will try to track that one down. BTW GP2 is still a great drive and the only thing I feel is really missing is sound of the opposing cars. Which is surprising given other games of the era; Nascar, ICR etc. have them..

Sorry for the side topic-ing...