Common searches

Do these Windows Glide games exist?

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 65, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you think that support is still in there and they just removed the *drv.dll files and the entries from mobileforces.ini (or whatever its called)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 23 of 65, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The files really aren't there, and no, you can't just plug in another UE game's GlideDrv.dll or SGLDrv.dll.

I should mention there's still a SoftDrv.dll at least. But that's it - D3DDrv.dll and SoftDrv.dll. No GlideDrv.dll, SGLDrv.dll, OpenGLDrv.dll, MetalDrv.dll...

and fyi before anyone asks, i'll remind you that the Rage dlls have to do with the fact the game's internal codename is Rage as it was a project for the publisher of that name, Rage Games. 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 24 of 65, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

ManxTT superbike was glide

Superbike World Championship is NOT ManxTT Superbike. Mobygames says Direct3D but I've heard additionally Glide on some old list.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/superbike-world-championship

Unless you meant Castrol Honda Superbike World Championship.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/castrol … world-champions
which is also questionable if it supports Glide.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2012-07-29, 23:36. Edited 1 time in total.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 26 of 65, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can we always trust expansion packs for any game to retain support by coming with the 3D-accelerator specific executable, or a patch available for the expansion pack?

I like listing the official expansion packs and "Gold"/"Platinum"/"GOTY" editions when possible.

Stiletto

Reply 27 of 65, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

Can we always trust expansion packs for any game to retain support by coming with the 3D-accelerator specific executable, or a patch available for the expansion pack?

There is only 1 expansion pack AFAIR with the glide support remover - "Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter". The original game is supporting glide through 3dfx miniGL.
Plus "Half-Life: Blue Shift" isn't working with glide at all ("this resolution isn't supported" error), but this game is standalone.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2012-07-30, 00:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 65, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome.

In this case I was asking about more than just 3dfx in case anyone knows... (Rendition, Matrox, S3, etc.)

Stiletto

Reply 29 of 65, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Superbike World Championship is NOT ManxTT Superbike. .

I never said it was
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/manx-tt-superbike
I mentioned it because it wasnt on the list

ps: may have glide support (cannot be sure even though I supplied the in game screenshot)
flying saucer
look at the back cover
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/flying-saucer

Le Mans 24 Hour supports glide (not in list)
from the readme
>> 2. SUPPORTED 3D-HARDWARE <<
==============================

This game uses Glide to directly support the following Voodoo chipsets:

- 3Dfx Voodoo1 (>=4Mb Texture Memory)
- 3Dfx Voodoo2
- 3Dfx Voodoo3
- 3Dfx Banshee

Direct3D is also available to support most recent 3D-hardware chipsets.
All of the following 3D-chipsets have been tested:

F22 ADF suports glide
also european airwar

- 3Dfx Voodoo3
- 3Dfx Banshee
- ATI Rage Pro
- ATI Rage 128
- Nvidia Riva TNT
- Nvidia Riva TNT2
- Matrox G200
- Matrix G400
- S3 Savage 3
- S3 Savage 4

Edit : Just realised Flying Saucer is on the list

f22 adf supports glide
european airwar and janes ww2 fighters, (but not on list)
forsaken is d3d
wing commander prohecy has a glide mode as does secret ops

Slave zero has a glide mode
from the readme :
GLIDE NOTES
If you are playing with a 3dfx card, it is strongly recommended that you
use the glide version. Slave Zero is a glide3x game.

Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror
Glide (being an UT99 mod also released standalone)
x-com enforcer is glide
us navy fighters 97 is direct draw

ww2 prisoner of war (you mean the codemasters one ? ) I installed it yesterday d3d
janes israeli airforce is d3d
janes fa/18 is d3d
janes f-15 is glide the 1.17f patch added support for Direct3D.

Reply 30 of 65, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Breakneck (aka Nice2) is a strange one
I cant get it to run in xp
if i select software in the launcher it crashes
if i select mystique/tnt/rive128/permedia2 and banshee (plus a few more cards) it crashes with a dx7 error
but if I select voodoo1 or voodoo2 it crashes with an unknown error not the dx7 error so it could be glide someone would need to test this in win9x

Reply 31 of 65, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you don't understand.

the list contains only not verified games:
- if the game is confirmed glide it is removed from that list.
- if the game is confirmed non glide it is removed from that list too

If you want to check whether the game is not on the list check Windows Glide Games List
BTW i think stiletto should update that list too so that less games are missing on it. So that is is easier to verify missing games at the same time (what Davros already tries to do)

Reply 32 of 65, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

F22: Air Dominance Fighter and Slave Zero - have been added to my list. Tnx.

X-Com Enforcer - I'm 100% sure this game don't have the glide API. D3d only.
Flying Saucer - it was released only in Germany. I have the cd-image from this release, but again - no signs of the glide API.

Reply 35 of 65, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you have a point otherwise we dont know if a game is missing because its been proved to support glide or he doesnt know about it
Maybe he should have 2 lists
1. verified glide games
2. games in need of verifying

Someone should create such lists (someone who is prepared to maintain them
) make them sticky and keep it clean there should be another thread for debate the list thread should contain just the lists.

Reply 36 of 65, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

O, drat...
X-Com: Enforcer has been added in my list.
I just misplaced X-Com Interceptor and X-Com Enforcer...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 37 of 65, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

O, drat...
X-Com: Enforcer has been added in my list.
I just misplaced X-Com Interceptor and X-Com Enforcer...

I can vouch for that one, I have the former Direct2Drive version of it. You never see the 3dfx splash screen before it loads though...and the scientist/narrator sounds funny. 🤣

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 38 of 65, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right Stiletto, I've been doing my homework and here's what I found for all the games I originally listed...

* ABC Sports Indycar Racing (actually called Indy Racing - Road to the Indianapolis 500) - confirmed Direct3D only.
* BreakNeck - confirmed Direct3D only (DX5).
* Castrol Honda Superbike World Champions - confirmed Direct3D only (DX5).
* Colin McRae Rally - confirmed Direct3D only (DX6).
* Daytona USA Deluxe - confirmed Direct3D only.
* Evel Knievel - confirmed Direct3D only.
* F1 Racing Simulation - confirmed native Glide support (Glide 2.43 and above).
* F1 Simulation Pro - no idea what this is, never heard of it and I have all the F1 games. Possibly became VGP2 - Virtual Grand Prix 2 (which is DX7 and above).
* F1 World Grand Prix 2000 - confirmed Direct3D only (DX7).
* Flight Unlimited 2 - confirmed Direct3D only (DX5).
* Ford Racing - I only have the updated Ford Racing 2001 version, which is DX6.1 only.
* Formula 1 Championship Edition - US name of Formula 1 97. Supports Glide natively (as does the early game of the 1995 championship, titled just Formula 1).
* Formula One 2 - no idea what this is still!
* Global Defender - actually tricky to say, the readme says you'll be asked during installation if you have a Voodoo/Voodoo II/Voodoo Rush chipset, then DX5 will be installed, but the system requirements says "Any 3D accelerator with a full OpenGL driver, or a "miniport" designed for Quake II." then lists all sorts including 3Dfx. I *think* it uses OpenGL regardless, maybe optimised for each card though.
* Grand Prix 3 - confirmed Direct3D only (DX7).
* Grand Touring Cars - just called Grand Touring (by Elite), early engine for Ford Racing. Confirmed Direct3D only.
* Hover Ace - HoverAce Combat Racing Zones is a 2003 (in US at least) release, so is Direct3D only. There's also HoverRace that's a free abandonware game, doesn't even look accelerated: http://www.hoverrace.com/
* Indycar Racing: Indianapolis 500 - Add on for the DOS game, not accelerated.
* Insane - technically called 1nsane. Confirmed Glide support (as well as DX7 + DX7 T&L), although the readme advises "For improved frame rates from 3DFX cards it is recommended that the Direct 3D renderer is used instead of the default Glide." 🤣!
* International Rally Championship - confirmed Direct3D only (DX5).
* Jeff Gordon XS Racing - confirmed Direct3D only.
* Jet Moto - confirmed Direct3D only (event though the disc has 3Dfx logo on it it's not a Glide game!).
* Jet Moto 2 - PlayStation only, not on PC.
* Johnny Herbert's Grand Prix Championship 1998 - confirmed Direct3D only (DX5).
* London Racer - aka M25 Racer, Direct3D only.
* Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator - confirmed Direct3D (possibly DX6).
* Moto Racer GP - Moto Racer is Direct3D only (DX3), Moto Racer 2 is Direct3D only (DX6), and Moto Racer 3 is something like DX8 so never going to support Glide!
* Motocross Madness - Not got this any more, just Motocross Madness 2, so can't check.
* N.I.C.E. 2: Tune-Up! - appears to be an updated version of Breakneck so should be the same as that (Direct3D DX5 only).
* Need For Speed II - DirectDraw only. NFS2 Special Edition had Glide mode but no patch was made for original game as they changed a lot.
* Plane Crazy - confirmed Direct3D only (DX5).
* POD: Back to Hell/POD: Extended Time - so many POD things came out I'm not sure what's what. I have POD Gold (aka POD 2.0) and it supports 3Dfx Glide natively (as long as you get the hacked updated exes or it won't start at all!).
* PowerBoat Racing - full title VR Sports Powerboat Racing - confirmed Direct3D (DX5).
* Race To Galamax - full title The Race to Galamax - confirmed Direct3D only.
* Sega Rally 2 Championship - confirmed Direct3D only (DX6.1).
* Sega Touring Car Championship - original game DirectDraw only, then a Direct3D patch was released, but never a Glide version.
* Speed Rally - not sure what this is and I have all PC rally games!
* Speedy Zone - Direct3D, not Glide. There was a variant called Grand Prix Rally with textures ripped from ToCA Touring Car Championship!
* Spell of Speed 1937 - Spirit Of Speed 1937 you mean! Direct3D only (DX7).
* Superbike 2001 - confirmed Direct3D only (DX7 ideally, may work with DX6.1).
* Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing - confirmed Direct3D only (DX7). The fore-runner Redline Racing seems to support Glide though.
* TOCA: Touring Car Championship - confirmed Direct3D only.
* TOCA2: Touring Cars 2 - confirmed Direct3D only.
* Viper Racing - confirmed Direct3D only (DX5).
* Virtua Cop 2 - confirmed Direct3D only.
* Virtua Fighter 2 - confirmed Direct3D only (via a patch), not Glide.
* Virtua Squad - aka Virtua Cop - DirectDraw only (and Nvidia NV1) but not Glide or Direct3D.
* Virtua Squad 2 - see Virtua Cop 2 as it's the same game!
* Zone Raiders (Image Space Inc. / Virgin) - confirmed DOS only, no Glide support.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 39 of 65, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and during my testing, I found that most old Direct3D games now don't work properly. That's what you call Nvidia driver improvements :-p but I still have a copy of their 163.75 drivers, just in case, for older games!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor