VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by christo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These are the best NFS games I guess so. But they have the most trouble with win7 and the newest graphics cards.

I found some stuff on the internet:
http://technolifefaq.blogspot.in/2011/03/nfs- … -not-found.html
http://machf.tripod.com/NFS/nfs2se.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULk7X6Alc14

Absolutely not working 😀

I tried them on win7 and also on xp in vmware.
3dfx mode (nfs2sea.exe) just gives me black screen with nglide or dgvoodoo. With software render in win7 I got very weird screen and lagging sounds, in xp the game is very slow and sometimes freezing (but with correct colors).

Does anyone have some ideas?

I have intel/ati.

Reply 3 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know about Win 7 (still don't using this crap) but nfs 2-5 is needing ACT tweaks even in Xp.
IIRC, nGlide compatibility list is including all needed .sdb's.
Working perfectly with nGlide after tweaking.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 13, by christo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Win7: biggest crap. Agreed. But I use a laptop from a library. Not mine. Not allowed to change the os. And my own laptop is 7 years old. Not for video recording.
So I use winxp in vmware. I can try also in win7 and in xp.

After several tries, I've done something... the game is playable in 3dfx mode, but with crappy sound, without music, without cinematics and a little lagg in every 5 seconds.

And yes, I tried nglide. And dgvoodoo also.

Reply 5 of 13, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NFS2SE and 3 need Single Processor Affinity under Windows7 which makes NFS2 lag like hell, but playable (as well as the original NFSSE, but unplayable). You can get the best fixes for all these NFSs at nglide website (you'll need Microsoft ACT 5.x to use the fixes). You can find good fixes for NFS2SE made for Windows XP right here in this forum (will get rid of the black screen on startup, also need ACT 5.x). Forget about Win9x compatibility mode, as it will make NFS2SE unplayable on every OS.

Reply 7 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The trouble is - nfs4 and nfs5 are using NPS (Network patch system) only. And EA has stopped the NPS servers long ago.

I didnt use act on my pc.

Wrong decision.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 8 of 13, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least for NFS 5 ACT is not necessary as it seems to work fine. Don't know about NFS 4, but for all the previous ones ACT is required.

Reply 9 of 13, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

(as well as the original NFSSE, but unplayable)

It's possible some of the other ACT fixes I use on XP will speed up NFSSE in Win7 perhaps. Try disabling sound in NFSSE to see if the lagging goes, then if that's the case look at my thread:

How to get Need For Speed Special Edition working perfectly in Windows XP

I was planning to upgrade to a new PC soon, but am now holding off for Win8 (which hopefully fixes for might work on Win7 too), as I want to get Hydro Thunder Hurricane from Microsoft Win8 app store :-p

Might make a blog/site about Win8 compatibility and racing games in future. I ran the demo of Sega Rally (1997 non MMX demo) on Win8 without any problems heh...

Reply 10 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

At least for NFS 5 ACT is not necessary as it seems to work fine. Don't know about NFS 4, but for all the previous ones ACT is required.

NFS 5 (EU version) is needing "HideDisplayModes" for porsche.exe and porsche.icd in Xp. No 1024x768x32 w/o this for my PC (too many modes and fixed buffer length). Plus "EmulateHeap" ACT fix is included in the system compatibility database for this game.
NFS 4 (EU version) is needing "CorrectFilePaths" for nfshs.exe. Software and glide renderers are working perfectly, d3d - black screen. Again, "EmulateGetDiskFreeSpace" fix is included in the system database.
NFS 2 SE - you need "EmulateGetDiskFreeSize" and "GlobalMemoryStatusLie" fixes for nfs2sen.exe and nfs2sea.exe. You don't need "SingleProcAffinity". Working like a charm on my WinXp PC.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2012-08-10, 06:00. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 12 of 13, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
It's possible some of the other ACT fixes I use on XP will speed up NFSSE in Win7 perhaps. Try disabling sound in NFSSE to see i […]
Show full quote
filipetolhuizen wrote:

(as well as the original NFSSE, but unplayable)

It's possible some of the other ACT fixes I use on XP will speed up NFSSE in Win7 perhaps. Try disabling sound in NFSSE to see if the lagging goes, then if that's the case look at my thread:

How to get Need For Speed Special Edition working perfectly in Windows XP

I was planning to upgrade to a new PC soon, but am now holding off for Win8 (which hopefully fixes for might work on Win7 too), as I want to get Hydro Thunder Hurricane from Microsoft Win8 app store :-p

Might make a blog/site about Win8 compatibility and racing games in future. I ran the demo of Sega Rally (1997 non MMX demo) on Win8 without any problems heh...

I have those fixes but unfortunately they're not enough for Win7. I have already tested them. The game runs but will freeze at random points. Same thing happens with NFS2SE and NFS3 if they're not set to only one processor affinity.

if you use the nfs 4 expansion pack you get a dx9 renderer

Now that's interesting. Does it work with NFS3 and NFS5?