VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MadMonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Doesn't there exist any simple way to run old Windows games on Win7 64-bit? I've tried compatibility modes without any luck and virtual pcs are way too painstaking to set up. I'm looking for an application that could run these games with ease, similar to the DOSBox where you can just drag and drop an exe to its icon to run a DOS game (or something like that). I'd like to play games like Moraff's Escapade, Chip's Challenge, Castle of the Winds and Kye again without trouble.

Reply 2 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have had performance issues with Dosbox running 3.1 for some 16bit games. I found it better to run either Windows98 or Win XP in VMware or Windows own Virtual Machine for those games.

Windows XP in Virtual Machine is probably the easiest and quickest to setup and use. Also you can have own program shortcuts directly in Windows 7 that starts up the Virtual Machine and then the program.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

Install the games through Windows 3.1 if they require an install.

I tested several 16bit Windows 3.x games on Windows 8 64bit today using DOSBox.

Windows 8 no longer supports VPC 2007 or VPC for Windows 7 and 9x support in Vmware 8 seems kind of flaky (May have been the install tho).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MadMonk wrote:

I'd like to play games like Moraff's Escapade, Chip's Challenge, Castle of the Winds and Kye again without trouble.

Some of those (Chip's Challenge and Kye have pretty big fanbases, as I recall) probably have newer, 32-bit versions available in one form or another. Others (Escapade in particular, I think) might already be 32-bit but have 16-bit installers, such that you just need to find an unpacker.

Reply 6 of 9, by MadMonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, got the games working but I'm getting an error when trying to run the Escapade installer(?). You can check out the app if interested. http://games.lisisoft.com/full-download-game/ … s-escapade.html

Attachments

• Filename
    escapade.png
    File size
    34.73 KiB
    Downloads
    150 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps you should try running it from its own folder instead of the Windows directory? (Putting random things in C:\WINDOWS has never, ever been a good idea.)