VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I thought about testing my newly acquired Diamond SpeedStar A55, so I put it in a system consisting of a Lucky Tech P6VBX3 board, a Pentium II/400 CPU, 2 * 128MB of PC100 SDRAM, a Turtle Beach Montego A3DXstream sound card, a CMC Orbit 3D 12MB VooDoo2 and a 3C509B-TPO ISA NIC.

The system had been running happily with a Rage Pro Turbo AGP card, but with the SpeedStar Age of Empires would always crash within seconds of playing.

Software configuratio is Windows 98 SE with unofficial SP2.1a (from http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html) and DirectX 7.0a; two driver sets were tried for the SpeedStar (one found on treiberupdate.de and one found on driverscollection.com), both with the same result.

Is there any known issue about that game on that GPU? Does anyone happen to have a setup similar enough to test it?

Many thanks in advance.

Reply 5 of 10, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I'm holding one in my hands now. S3 were oriented at low-end market, so I guess, they HAD to make a PCI 3D/2X to get a bigger slice of the pie. i810 chipset had no AGP, most socket 7 systems had no AGP, so for people looking for an upgrade for an old PC this was a good deal.

They say, 3D part dramatically sucked, but it was cheap, so who cares?

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2012-09-03, 12:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, so I installed 1.00.28 driver and Age Of Empires Gold. Runs fine, not even a minor problem.
Driver: ftp://ftp2.nix.ru/download/drivers/only_from_ … x/w9x_10028.zip
Game: NO LINKS TO "ABANDONWAREZ" thanks

Edited by Stiletto [mod] 14:10 GMT 2011-09-03

Reply 7 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
iulianv wrote:

I don't think it was designed to use Glide...

Voodoo 2's support Direct 3d

because of raccoon this thread will be locked, nice job

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 8 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

Don't know what you're talking about... 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 10, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stiletto, OK thanks 😀 I've got to read rules before posting, not after 😀

Davros wrote:
iulianv wrote:

I don't think it was designed to use Glide...

Voodoo 2's support Direct 3d

AoE is not 3D anyway

Reply 10 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

Stiletto, OK thanks 😀 I've got to read rules before posting, not after 😀

I'll be honest: I'm not sure where it's posted. But the rules here are common sense things.
- no sharing warez of anything aside from maybe driver disks. (no OS install disks, no games, no productivity software)
- only sharing of free games is games that are truly free: open-source, or games that have been released by the original publisher as free (there's a thread about that here somewhere), or demos
- the registration rules: "You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or any other material that may violate any applicable laws."
- etcetera etcetera.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto