l33t++

Well if he's going to make you sign up then I'll just attach it here:

Attachments

Reply 61 of 85, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you. I have been aware of this guy for a while and he has a tendency to not open source his projects, even when he is dealing with open source stuff, like his NSIS Dialog Designer. I wanted to see his alterations to the fast colored textbox control (an open source C# control) for the syntax hightlighting and NSIS is open source, but he keeps it closed.

Last edited by collector on 2016-06-14, 16:05. Edited 1 time in total.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 63 of 85, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's beta 2. It's only useful for Windows Vista/7, where it only adds a GUI for configuring the existing Microsoft MIDI Mapper. There is no functional change for Windows 8/10, where it still installs the same MIDI routing device as the default, along with the configuration GUI.

Attachments

Reply 64 of 85, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Such a simple, little program, yet it works and does wonders. Its allows me to change between the MT-32 Synth Emulator, the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and the CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth. VirtualMIDISynth will show CoolSoft MIDIMapper as the Windows Media Player default device, so the two programs do not stomp on each other there.

One interesting thing is that the MT-32 Synth Emulator only show up in the 32bit drop down list whereas the other two devices appear both in the 32bit and 64bit lists. I suppose that MUNT is a 32-bit driver and the other two are either 64-bit drivers and are 32-bit compatible. Not that it matters much, I doubt any MIDI program will refuse to use a device with only a 32-bit driver.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 65 of 85, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, the latest version of Munt on sourceforge is 32-bit only. There's an older 64-bit 1.5.0-updates build on Sourceforge.

I doubt there are any 64-bit-only applications out there that use MIDI and can't use a 32-bit driver.

What's weird is that the Microsoft GS Synth doesn't show up for me under 64-bit either. I guess Microsoft is lazy?

Reply 66 of 85, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

What's weird is that the Microsoft GS Synth doesn't show up for me under 64-bit either. I guess Microsoft is lazy?

That would be fair, I don't think they've substantially updated it since 1999. It's one of the things that most irritates me about Microsoft: there are features like this one that they clearly don't give a damn about keeping functionally modern, yet they obfuscate or, worse yet, remove functionality that allows users to use an alternative.

Reply 67 of 85, by mudlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Edit: I've been thinking that it should be possible to make a fake winmm.dll that intercepts the call to midiOutOpen() and forwards the call to the real winmm.dll, but with a device ID parameter from a config file instead of whatever was passed in. Unfortunately I don't know how to do this (but I'm sure someone on here does). Here's the Microsoft documentation for the method in question: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx

However, doesn't Win10 have issues with proxy dlls for components like winmm.dll?

Reply 68 of 85, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

I doubt there are any 64-bit-only applications out there that use MIDI and can't use a 32-bit driver.

Microsoft GS Synth does show up for me in the CoolSoft MIDI Mapper's 64-bit drop down box on my computer. I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 69 of 85, by mudlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe then for Windows 10, the best course of action is indeed a hook DLL to force a MIDI synth for a particular app. Could just hook the appropriate winmm call and use other calls to get the appropriate "device" ID.

I'm kinda interested to do such a thing since Coolsoft always makes everything closed source, when thats not really a problem if you use x64dbg/Ollydbg/IDA Pro (native mode) or dnSpy (for .NET apps).

The Coolsoft MIDI mapper GUI stuff is based off .NET anyway.

Reply 71 of 85, by mudlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Here's beta 2. It's only useful for Windows Vista/7, where it only adds a GUI for configuring the existing Microsoft MIDI Mapper. There is no functional change for Windows 8/10, where it still installs the same MIDI routing device as the default, along with the configuration GUI.

Thanks very much, guess I have to start spying to see how that DLL works in that installer..

Reply 72 of 85, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

beta4 released:

v.0.9.0-beta3 - 2016-06-27 - DLL now acts as a real MIDIMapper and not as a MIDI driver anymore. - Prepared for future integra […]
Show full quote

v.0.9.0-beta3 - 2016-06-27
- DLL now acts as a real MIDIMapper and not as a
MIDI driver anymore.
- Prepared for future integration with VirtualMIDISynth 2.

v.0.9.0-beta4 - 2016-07-12
- Selected device is now the same between x86 and x64 versions
- Improved configurator devices list to show available devices bitness

Attachments

Reply 74 of 85, by nicorac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, I'm the author of both VirtualMIDISynth and CoolSoft MIDIMapper.
I'm here thanks to some users of this forum 😉

HunterZ wrote:

Update: beta3 and beta4 don't seem to be working correctly, so I recommend sticking with beta2 for now.

I've just released beta5 that reverts the change done in beta3 (how MIDIMapper show up in the system).
Please check it out below...

HunterZ wrote:

Well if he's going to make you sign up then I'll just attach it here:

My intention wasn't to increase my user base; I only like to filter out "disappearing" users:
it already happened in the past, people asking for features (or bug fixes) with their first comment then, after spending some days to implement the feature... no more feedback.
If an user spends some time to subscribe then he's likely give further feedback in the future.
Anyway, I've attached the setup of beta5 here, so VOGONS users could test it easily.

collector wrote:

I have been aware of this guy for a while and he has a tendency to not open source his projects, even when he is dealing with open source stuff, like his NSIS Dialog Designer.

Sadly the dialog designer component of NSISDialogDesigner can't actually be published.
It was code I wrote some time ago for another project of mine (as a freelance) and I only got the permission to use it for freeware (but not open source) programs. Sorry.

collector wrote:

I wanted to see his alterations to the fast colored textbox control (an open source C# control) for the syntax hightlighting and NSIS is open source, but he keeps it closed.

That C# control was included as-is, no changes to its code AFAIR.
I only created (and configured) the NSIS language definition to let it colorize .nsi files.
That's why I haven't published anything... maybe I shall mention in into readme file, will do it ASAP.
If you need NSIS definition feel free to PM.
...oops, I'm going a bit OT

mudlord wrote:

The Coolsoft MIDI mapper GUI stuff is based off .NET anyway.

You're right, it's the quickest way to implement such a simple task 😉.
MIDIMapper stores/retrieves the selected MIDI device to/from the same well-known XP/Vista/7 key, even if it was removed in Win8.
This way it should be compatible with other MIDIMapper configurators (like Vista MIDI Tool).
Again, Coolsoft MIDIMapper can also be installed on Vista/7 but on these OSes only the configurator is installed since the mapper is already available.

Sorry for such a long first post.
Will try to look at this forum too but please post bug MIDIMapper reports/requests here
http://coolsoft.altervista.org/midimapper
(anonymous posting is accepted, no need to register 😉)

Attachments

• Filename
    CoolSoft_MIDIMapper_0.9.0-beta5.zip
    File size
    259.11 KiB
    Downloads
    337 downloads
    File comment
    CoolSoft_MIDIMapper_0.9.0-beta5
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://coolsoft.altervista.org