VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bushmac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently purchased the Windows 95 native version of Road Rash (1996). Installed and started up fine on my Windows 98 SE machine, but when I go to the actual racing screen, there's a great deal of flickering occurring on screen. Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks for your time.

Reply 1 of 13, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

see if theres anyway to limit the framerate or try vysnc

ps: it appears to run fin on win 7 if you end the explorer process if you have a modern pc

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 13, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know Road Rash requires you to pick your MIDI driver carefully or the music won't play during races and an alert will pop up before the race begins. Might be that. Otherwise perhaps it's a virus checker/firewall alert popping up on the desktop behind the game? I don't recall much flickering on Win98 or XP.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 4 of 13, by bushmac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My computer config:
256 MB Ram
AMD K-6 300 Mhz
Nvidia GeForce 2 MX (PCI)
Sound Blaster Live! (SB0200) (PCI)
40 GB IDE HDD
1280 x 720 desktop resolution using a Samsung Syncmaster driver

Also recently upgraded processor to a AMD K6-2 550 Mhz (underclocked to 450 Mhz due to motherboard restrictions and possibly drawing too much power from power supply). With this CPU, game will lock up at the racing screen in any resolution.

Reply 7 of 13, by bushmac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@filipetolhuizen: Just rolled back to the version 45.23 drivers for Win9x. Flicker issue resolved (solved my flicker problems and models poping in and out in X-Wing vs Tie fighter under 3D acceleration mode as well. WOOT!)! Still have the lock up issue with the 500 Mhz processor installed, but I'm replacing that CPU anyway, so we'll see. Thanks for the help everyone.

Reply 8 of 13, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm glad you found the driver that suited you best. I had my best experience with the driver version 29.42 back when I had a Geforce 3.

Reply 9 of 13, by bushmac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good news is the flicker issue seems to be resolved. Now the game locks up every time I enter a race no matter what resolution the game is set at. So far I've tried disconnecting my Sidewinder 3d pro, rolling back the graphics drivers further (nvidia 29.42), and gone back to my 300 mhz processor. Any other ideas?

Reply 10 of 13, by bushmac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, figured out why Road Rash was locking up. When I'm using my Sound Blaster Live! (SB0200) (PCI) as the sound device, the game locks up. When I switched back to my on-board sound device, runs fine. So there you go: the Dell OEM Sound Blaster card sucks a lot. Doesn't emulate too well in Dos either.

Reply 13 of 13, by bushmac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@filipetolhuizen: Yah, I installed the latest Liveware drivers. Same result. I'm going to be changing to an ISA sound card for DOS applications, so this should not (in theory) be the issue. I've found a number of problems with Dos emulation and program compatibility with this particular Sound Blaster card.

@VirtuaIceMan: Unfortunately, I was not receiving an error or "bong" noise indicating an error from Windows. The entire system would lock up (unable to access task manager, return to Windows Desktop, zero feedback from the machine via mouse and keyboard, etc.), requiring a hard boot to restart the system. Thank you for the idea, though.