VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone, first of all hello from me, I've been a lurker here for some time and this forum is very useful to me, one of my hobbies is getting older PC games running again and then documenting the process on my site for others. I'd just finished getting the old game Hellbender running on my rig (Windows 7 x64), and I got everything working OK except for Joysticks.

Now, I believe the game supports the old-style DB-15 controllers, it won't recognise a USB controller at all. I know there's the excellent Xpadder utility and that works in a lot of cases, but of course it only emulates a keyboard and doesn't do analogue. What I wondered is, was there ever an emulator or wrapper written that would enable a USB controller to work as a DB-15 style old-school controller under windows, thus restoring analogue control capability to games like Hellbender and others? I did Google around but I wasn't entirely sure what to search for.

So basically if anyone could tell me if such a thing exists I'd be grateful, thanks.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 1 of 7, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think that'll work if it's expecting direct gameport access, because all that will do is convert an analog gameport device to USB. (Digital gameport devices won't even work at all. *glances at a pair of Logitech WingMan Interceptor sticks*)

DOSBox at least provides analog gameport emulation for DOS games (even including Thrustmaster FCS and CH Flightstick Pro modes).

That said, I would like to know of a similar utility...but for Win98SE or even real DOS mode, for my retrogaming computer project. Even the Win98SE DOS box won't let TFX see my DirectInput peripherals.

Reply 2 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BuckoA51 wrote:

I've been a lurker here for some time and this forum is very useful to me, one of my hobbies is getting older PC games running again and then documenting the process on my site for others.

There's a lot of useful chatter on these forums that deserves to be carefully cataloged, I think.

So, Hellbender is a Windows game that does not use DirectInput?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hellbender

That seems odd. Are there a lot of Windows games that do that? It seems to me like it would be a better idea to patch the game itself.

Reply 3 of 7, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies, I can tell you that the game has the options of Gamepad, Joystick, Joystick with Throttle and Sidewinder 3D pro, but none of these options seem to work at all with my Xbox 360 USB controller.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 4 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the XBox 360 controller is special. It is quite possible that that another, non-XBox 360 USB controller will work.*

A little Googling turns up http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/620 … rectinput-games , which suggests alternative drivers for the XBox 360 controller.

*A DB-15 controller plugged into a USB adapter might also work, but if it's a "digital" device like the Sidewinder, then it will only work properly if someone out there has made an appropriate driver. I'd love to know if such drivers exist; I have a lot of nice old "digital" DB-15 devices.

Reply 6 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As kind of a roundabout solution, I guess you could install Win95 in DosBox and run Hellbender on there, though it would be a major pain in the ass to set up. 😜 Not to mention, due to the lack of "true" IDE or PCI emulation, CDROMs don't work under win95 in the current mainstream release of DosBox.

Reply 7 of 7, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah that's more hoops than I want to jump through I think! The game is playable with just Xpadder emulating the keys but, always nice to have a perfect solution.

Just noticed that the article linked in Jorpho's post was about the original Xbox controller not the 360 one. Edit, no it's not sorry, think I'll get to bed now 😀

play-old-pc-games.com