VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys:

I'm looking for a PCI sound card that has drivers for Windows 3.x. I have a bit of an odd setup where I am running OS/2 and Windows 3.1 on top of it. In order for me to get audio to work in Windows 3.1 however, I need drivers for the hardware. My problem is... I don't have ISA slots and I am not investing money in a new ISA compatible motherboard. Are there any PCI audio cards that have drivers for Windows 3.x?

I heard rumors that the PCI Ensoniq ES1371 supports Windows 3.1 and OS/2 just fine. Will this work or does anyone have better suggestions? for DOS games, I plan on using DOSBox for OS/2 if DOS support on the PCI card isn't great, so no worries there.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by mattrock1988 on 2012-11-30, 13:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I only used Windows on top of os/2 when I worked for a financial institute, so I might be wrong, but does windows in OS/2 have direct access to the hardware?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And I don't think there are any pci cards with win 3.11 support.
I didn't know there is dosbox for os/2

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 10, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To answer your first question... yes as far as I know, Win 3.x does have direct access to the hardware. Hence why it needs drivers.

Also, I just discovered that Ensoniq did release an AudioPCI driver for Win 3.x. Whether or not it will work remains to be seen.

Yes... an OS/2 version of DOSBox does indeed exist. It's up to about version 0.72... which is pretty darn close to the latest version.

Matt

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 4 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

He he 0.72 is close in number but not in code 😉

Edit: apparently there are a number of pci sound cards with win3.1 drivers.

Last edited by Dominus on 2012-11-30, 10:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 had a PCI version as well. Windows 3.1 had built in Sound Blaster drivers, though creative labs did release updated versions as well. I seem to recall my PCI SB16 working fine in Windows 3.1, but I'm not 100% sure about that, it may have been an ISA card with 3.1, and I didn't get the PCI card until Windows 95. I do remember that when I got the SB Live!, I think it was, the DOS drivers (absolutely requred to use the card in DOS and huge memory hogging TSRs,) were total crap (and they haven't improved any since then either.)

Feeding Dragon

Reply 7 of 10, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are several PCI soundcards with Win3.1 drivers (ALS4000, Crystal Soundfusion, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Aureal Vortex1), but these drivers are useless in OS/2 and WinOS/2 sessions. The only PCI cards with WinOS/2 drivers AFAIK are the SoundFusion based cards (CS4280, CS4614, CS4624). All other cards including AudioPCI (SoundBlaster PCI and friends) do not have special drivers for Win3.1 under OS/2.
There is also a generic WinOS/2 audio driver (search for genaud-v3.1r02.zip) which works with any soundcard with OS/2 support, but its compatibility is said to be questionable.

Reply 8 of 10, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow thanks for sharing that information! I had no idea. Now if I can find the card you mentioned on eBay so that Win-OS/2 doesn't complain... 😀

I tried the generic audio UNIAUD driver, and quite frankly, it sucks. Win-OS/2 most of the time won't even recognize that the sound resource is free and usable.

EDIT: Would this be the correct card to get btw?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystal-CS4280-CM-64- … =item1c2d5d03e8

Matt

Reply 9 of 10, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Would this be the correct card to get btw?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystal-CS4280-...1c2d5d03e8

Yes, it should work.
Btw, UNIAUD and GenAud are two different beasts: the former is a universal audio driver for OS/2 that supports many chips, the latter is a generic audio driver for Win3.1-Sessions in OS/2.

Reply 10 of 10, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aaah... thanks for the clarification then good sir. Much obliged. 😀

I just hit Hobbes and downloaded the drivers ahead of time. I'm not entirely sure my eComStation installation CDs will come with the necessary out-of-the-box support.

Matt