VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys,
I was randomly wasting time in the endless internet jungle and this drew my attention:
http://www.beamdog.com/products/baldurs-gate- … nhanced-edition
I actually bought the game... but I cant get it to start. Did any one of you also get the game? Did anyone manage to start it?

Reply 3 of 10, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also got it to work, but in Linux under Wine and not in Windows. I have absolutely no idea what they did to make the game more compatible with linux then with windows, but I honestly do not care any more 😀 Linux is my main system anyway 😀
I'm off to play 😜

Reply 6 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Every software has bugs - yougot to live with that 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 10, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Harekiet wrote:

I kinda expected there to be more changes. But it's just some new binary with original assets, no new graphics or whatever 😀

Unfortunately the problem was that most of the original (hi-res) graphics assets were lost so they couldn't make a better quality version for the game. They made new movies, but I liked the old ones more. The new one are a bit static.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 8 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aqrit wrote:

Why did they make hardware 3D acceleration a requirement when it didn't exist in the original? If they hadn't done that then there would be no issues for those with slower video cards. The original can be run on any video card supporting SVGA. They can use more highly detailed textures to make the game look better simply by bumping up the video memory requirement without tapping into 3D hardware acceleration and considering that the original BG will run on a Pentium MMX, today's CPU's should have more than enough power to do any required acceleration.

Reply 9 of 10, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, I did notice some change in graphics. I like the new spell effects, even though they slow the game down sometimes 😀

I also agree that a software mode would be good thing to have as a backup (and if you want to run the game on a nettop, or a tablet.

Reply 10 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

The original can be run on any video card supporting SVGA

Not really. 16-bit color is a minimum requirement, so that puts it way out of the league of 512kb video cards. Plus, not all SVGA cards supported DirectX.

Also, what do you expect for a port from the iPhone? MDK2 HD isn't going to run on any Voodoo2s either (and probably also doesn't run on Intel GMA).

apsosig.png
long live PCem