Windows XP CD-Rom problem

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 46, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
If you really want to be thorough, the easiest way to verify burned data would probably be: -Create an ISO or BIN/CUE image with […]
Show full quote

If you really want to be thorough, the easiest way to verify burned data would probably be:
-Create an ISO or BIN/CUE image with the files you want to burn
-Burn the ISO image (any worthy CD burning program can do this)
-Re-rip the ISO image from the burned disc
-Compare the ripped ISO image with the burned ISO image, using checksums, fc, or WinDiff.
This technique at least minimizes the number of operations involved.

The real problem with that is that I do, regularly, create multi-format CDs and ISO cannot handle those 🙁 I generally use .bin .cue for images for that reason. I also generally don't create the image and then burn it to CD, I have yet to find a .bin .cue editor/creator. Of course, I've never really looked for one. I imagine that if I could create/edit the .bin .cue files to manually add files to them on the fly (creating the image,) your method would work just great. The .cue file is just a text file, so I could check that manually (headers and comments could be different.) As long as both .bin files are formatted the same way, all is good.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 41 of 46, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, that's a tall order. (Not sure what the advantage a multi-format CD would have these days.) You could probably use TotalMounter, a virtual CD burner, in conjunction with an ordinary burning program, since apparently a hybrid disc is just a multisession CD with audio tracks on its first session.

Reply 42 of 46, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In most cases my multi-format DVDs are a case of dual indexes. I'm using one index for my computer and one for my XBox so that I can watch my avi format videos on both my computer or my TV (on my XBox - yes it's modded.) The files themselves are the same, it's just the directory structure that is changed. Standard ISO software usually cannot handle that very well, at least the ones I've tried out don't.

I do the same thing with CDs when I'm putting avi shorts on them. My primary source is anime, (and some home videos.) So if the series or videos are short enough or small enough, I do the same thing with CDs as well. Though I usually have to get fancy and set the CD up to act like a DVD (or even the modded Xbox will sometimes refuse to read it.)

This may actually be moot now, though. As I believe modern DVD drives will read the Xbox version of UDF format now. I haven't actually tried to see if it would work, it's just a habit now to build 2 indexes. With the cost of DVDs being so low now, I might try building a single index DVD and check it out (later, I'm still mostly living out boxes right now.)

As for the music+data CDs, I thought the first track was data and the rest were music usually? I've never actually worked with one of those directly.... Not even sure if I have one. The only one I remember getting was Noctropolis and I remember being extremely upset because I evidently got a later release where the music wasn't included even though the disk clearly states that there are music tracks...

Feeding Dragon

Reply 43 of 46, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, and WinDiff seems to be just what the doctor ordered 😀 It's easy and great for batch testing. All I have to do put the files I'm burning into a single directory that has the same directory structure as the DVD/CD will have. Then use WinDiff to check "directory" instead of "file" with sub-directories enabled 😀 What is really great is that I already have that package installed. I got it for another program I wanted to use... FYI - it was sleep.exe which is basically a wait command. I used it with batch files where I want one program to fully load before the next one started. OK, I'll be honest, I wanted a game "trainer" to finish loading before the game itself loaded... Hey, I'm getting older, my reactions aren't what they used to be 🙁

I'm going to look up those programs mentioned earlier, and check them out. I may be removing Nero after all. The only problem is, right now, is that Nero tends to hose my system if it's removed.... But that just means that next time I do a re-install, I won't need to install Nero 😀

Feeding Dragon

Reply 44 of 46, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIR, you just need to disable all Nero services. InCD and NMIIndexStore as the example.
The easiest way to do theis is - msconfig. Check the "hide all microsoft services" checkbox and MASSACRE THIS *censored* SOURCE OF ERRORS.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 45 of 46, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FeedingDragon wrote:

As for the music+data CDs, I thought the first track was data and the rest were music usually? I've never actually worked with one of those directly....

Oh, well, that's what I thought you meant by "multi-format CDs".

If you want some mixture of UDF and other filesystems, then ImgBurn can totally do that and create a BIN/CUE .

Reply 46 of 46, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't tried them yet, but reading the web pages it looks like "DVD Flick" and Ashampoo's burning software pretty much cover all my conditions. Will have to download the Ashampoo program and try it out to know for sure. Great thing is that they are both free 😀 even if "DVD Flick" cannot quite do exactly what I want, from reading the web site, it can, at the very least, do what Nero does now.

Feeding Dragon