VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bubbadoo14

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently found these old disks I can't run it because I need an older version of windows and DOSbox says it needs Windows Explorer and I installed a windows 95 or 97 I found it somewhere on this forum but it had compatibility issues and I couldn't run it. I am extremely curious and would like to access the games. I think these are one of my dad's old games as he has assorted games around like an Duke Nukem expansion pack but no Duke Nukem. 😢 And had a Doom (My childhood game right there!)

Reply 4 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is not much to say, except there are visual basic runtimes that aren't included with Windows, and some applications that need them do not include them due to space constraints.

There is probably some vaguely-official Microsoft distribution for the runtimes in question, but if not there are a bazillion places to download THREED.VBX from for starters, and the application in question will probably ask for the whatever other ones it needs afterwards.

Reply 5 of 8, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The thing is, THREED.VBX is located in the install folder. The program just doesn't recognize that it's there.
Though this is only a problem in Windows 3.1 as I mentioned before that it does work in Windows 98.

Reply 6 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, well. If it was a Win9x problem, I would suggest running regsvr32 on it, but I have no idea what the Win 3.x equivalent is, if any. Perhaps the program in question is looking in C:\Windows\System first?

Reply 8 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I did find http://support.microsoft.com/kb/111296 , which suggests there's nothing that needs to be done except for copying it, in theory.

Maybe the copy of THREED.VBX on the disc is bad?

Or maybe the installer is just buggy and it's not looking for THREED.VBX at all, but some other file instead. Or maybe it has something to do with the disc being read-only.