VOGONS

Common searches

Need Hardware Help

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by sdculp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Myst is up and running and I am very pleased with finding GOG. It was mentioned in a couple of posts ago: "(The disc version of Masterpiece Edition is, however, abundantly available on eBay if you really want it.)" If one were get a game from e-bay, which I wouldn't do, wouldn't one end up with a non-GOG version which wouldn't play on a new machine?

Reply 22 of 28, by sdculp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. Thanks.

In the past, and I mean WAY past (I built my first computer from parts in 1980) "updating video drivers" has caused more problems than it solved.

Not that I'm going to do it, but what would updating my video drivers do for me? When I first gave modern games a try, I was informed via an error signal that newer drivers were necessary. Since, from the trailer,I wasn't interested, I didn't do anything. Guess that would have been a reason. Some gamers need liquid cooling and multiple video cards to play the latest game issues. That's way beyond me. I like slow moving stuff. (just like me javascript:emoticon(':lol:');

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

"Don't keep fixing it 'til it's broke:"

Just trying to keep learning

Reply 23 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Newer video card drivers are often optimized over older drivers and may support new features, or fix bugs from older versions of the drivers. Sometimes they even include game-specific fixes. I would not be surprised that you are having trouble running things like From Dust if your video card drivers are vastly out of date.

sdculp wrote:

Myst is up and running and I am very pleased with finding GOG. It was mentioned in a couple of posts ago: "(The disc version of Masterpiece Edition is, however, abundantly available on eBay if you really want it.)" If one were get a game from e-bay, which I wouldn't do, wouldn't one end up with a non-GOG version which wouldn't play on a new machine?

As the Masterpiece Edition was released in 2000, it is unlikely the people at GOG have needed to modify it very much, if at all.

Reply 24 of 28, by sdculp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't actually get From Dust. After Googling and reading all the comments about it I decided not to.

Because of the policies of the mfgr some were actually saying that the mfgr should be boycotted.

Trailers were in hi def, but apparently the pc version was not and was actually lacking some of the more common video card capabilities. Apparently it is primarily an X Box game.

It was stated that the game was very video card sensitive and would only play on a few, which were apparently not listed.

I'm not really a "gamer", and didn't want to get involved in modifying my system for modern games.

Reply 25 of 28, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the easy answer to your original question is yes, if you bought an original copy of Myst [say off eBay] you would have a hard time running it, if at all, on a modern system. The GoG version has been tweaked for you so it will run fine.

If for whatever reason you *wanted* to install the original Myst the easiest way is on a retro Win95/98 system with hardware dating from that period, letting Myst install the version of Quicktime it uses etc., otherwise, just enjoy the nice work GoG has done for us....

Reply 26 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tincup wrote:

I think the easy answer to your original question is yes, if you bought an original copy of Myst [say off eBay] you would have a hard time running it, if at all, on a modern system.

The OP has already been trying to run an original copy of Myst. The "Masterpiece edition", a commercial release that came into existence long before there was ever such a thing as GOG, is not the original version, does not suffer from the same limitations, and probably required minimal modification by the people at GOG.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst#PC_remakes

(I suggested ScummVM earlier, but while some work has been done there, it is apparently not yet ready for prime time. Seems that it's close, though.)

Reply 27 of 28, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ Jorpho - you are right about the distinction between the 1st ed and follow-up ME version of Myst. But even the Masterpiece Ed. needs Quicktime, albeit a somewhat later and less fussy version than the orginal Myst needs, and this alone can easily derail a smooth installation. While I'm no expert, the first games I get running on any machine I put together are Myst and Riven, and they both require TLC, though the GoG ME version goes in without a hitch on my W7-64bit rig and is easily worth the 5$ 😀

Reply 28 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be clear, the GOG version of Myst ME is not immune to Quicktime problems either. Just sayin'.
http://www.gog.com/support/myst_masterpiece_e … visual_glitches