VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by stephaniadarling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've read tons of forums and links as to why I can't run The Game of Life(win98) out of dosbox. I understand its a windows game and thats why it says illegal command win. It won't let me even install it and theres no compatibility tab.

I'm considering downloading something other than dos? I'm just so lost here any help would be appreciated!

Reply 3 of 14, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you can try copying the contents of the CD to hard drive, then see if the setup.exe will fire up using W98 compatibility mode. If it installs, but needs the CD to play, make an image and load that with Daemon or another virtual drive app.

Reply 4 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it is a Windows 3.1 game (and it sounds like it) then you can either install Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, or use a virtual machine such as VMware, Virtual PC, or VirtualBox. (If you are going to use a virtual machine, you might want to use Windows 95 or 98 instead; those will probably be better supported by the virtual machines, and should have no problems running most Windows 3.1 software.)

Is the computer you are trying to run the game on 64-bit? Or rather, are you using a 64-bit version of Vista or Windows 7?

Also, please never, ever create a thread with a subject line like "Any help would be beyond appreciated...". If everyone did that nothing would ever get accomplished, now would it?

Reply 5 of 14, by stephaniadarling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry this is my first post ever on a site like this 😒

I am running a 64 bit on win 7

Are there any links that show how to use daemon or how to instal windows 3.1 in dosbox?

Reply 6 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you trying to install the program with Windows 7? You can't use any program with a 16-bit installer with an x64 Windows 7. You'll only be able to install in a virtual machine that allows 16-bit installers.

Reply 7 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stephaniadarling wrote:

Sorry this is my first post ever on a site like this 😒

May I suggest How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ? I sometimes go back and read it myself.

Are there any links that show how to use daemon or how to instal windows 3.1 in dosbox?

Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide
Or alternatively https://www.google.ca/search?q=windows+3.1+dosbox

However, now that I look again, it is probably quite likely that this game will not run under Windows 3.1.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/game-of-life_

DOSBox really won't help you at all to get this game running. Before we go any further, what exactly happens when you try to install it under Windows 7?

Reply 9 of 14, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This game is using InstallShield 3.x. Of course this version of the installer isn't working with 64-bit OS, because all 3.x packages are 16-bit.
To install:
1) Copy all cd content to directory on hdd.
2) Unpack attached setup32.exe to this directory.
3) Install the game with this setup32.

Attachments

• Filename
    Setup32.7z
    File size
    196.41 KiB
    Downloads
    75 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you were able to install DOSBox, I'm sure you can manage this. 😒

"Copy all cd content to directory on hdd" means:
Make an empty folder on your hard drive somewhere
Browse to the CD with Windows Explorer
Go to the Edit menu and click Select All
Go to the Edit menu again and click Copy
Browse to the empty folder on your hard drive
Go to the Edit menu and select Paste.

You probably don't have 7-zip installed, so here's setup32.exe again in a Zip file. Just unzip the Zip file into that same folder you made before, with the CD contents.

Attachments

• Filename
    Setup32.zip
    File size
    254.74 KiB
    Downloads
    75 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 14, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:
This game is using InstallShield 3.x. Of course this version of the installer isn't working with 64-bit OS, because all 3.x pack […]
Show full quote

This game is using InstallShield 3.x. Of course this version of the installer isn't working with 64-bit OS, because all 3.x packages are 16-bit.
To install:
1) Copy all cd content to directory on hdd.
2) Unpack attached setup32.exe to this directory.
3) Install the game with this setup32.

Thank you, now I can install simcity2000! however I can't change the installation directory.