VOGONS

Common searches

Andretti Racing crashing, Win 98 SE

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

System specs:

ASUS a7v266-e mobo
AMD Athlon XP 1400+
512 MB DDR
3dfx Voodo5 5500 AGP
Sound Blaster Live! Value

I found the game at a thrift store today and bought it exclusively because it had the 3dfx logo on the box. It installed on my system no problem, but the game itself is incredibly buggy; not during the actual races, but while navigating the menus. The cutscene videos don't work at all, the mouse will lock up and effectively crash the game while navigating the menus, and while loading in-between menus the screen goes black for minutes, and sometimes moves on to the next screen. In fact, only twice so far have I even managed to get past the opening "it's in the game" screen. When it crashes, even ctrl-alt-delete won't take me back to the desktop.

I installed the Glide patch which naturally helped the in-race graphics, but not the problems with the rest of the game. It actually surprised me that the patch worked, given the problems I've had trying to get other EA games to run in Glide with the Voodoo5. I hate EA. 🙁

Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? Is it my hardware that's causing the problem? It strikes me as weird that a Windows 95 game would cause such problems with Windows 98... The only patch I could find for this game was the 3dfx Glide patch. 😒

Reply 3 of 8, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This must've been the patch he got, since there was only this one. And yes, some Win95 games did not work quite right on Win98. USNF '97 was one that was mostly unplayable until EA (oh, coincidence?) released the 1.4 patch that fixed Win98 CTD issues.

Reply 4 of 8, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

I never had any problems with it
ps: there is a patch try that
http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=eng&sys=p … egld.zip&ref=ps

Thanks, but yeah, this was the patch I had already.

Going by what you guys are saying it sounds like a lost cause, at least on a Win 98 PC. IMO there are better arcade Indy/NASCAR games out there anyway judging by the few times I was able to get into a race, so I won't trouble myself too much over it, especially since I paid $2.99 for the game. 😦

Reply 6 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Working like a charm. WinME/Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.00E/512 Mb DDR/Radeon X850 PE Agp/Catalyst 6.2.
Also I have tried Matrox Mystique card with Dx7. Again - menus are working perfectly. The game itself is freesing in d3d mode. Later I will try this card with Dx9.
The patch, by the way, is made the game glide only. No software or d3d after this patch, only glide or glide stereo.
Unfortunately the game isn't Xp compatible. And nGlide 1.00 isn't supporting this game fully.

Reply 7 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the demo running fine on my old Win98SE machine. In WinXP it won't work at all. No idea about Win7 or Win8, but I suspect that'll be the same situation!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor