VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember using Skulltag on some Pentium 3 systems a looooooong time ago and it worked OK for singleplayer, but sucked for anything involving mods or multiplayer. 🤣 I'm wondering if there are still any sourceports out there with things like TCP/IP multiplayer and mouselook (I know, it's not how the purists do it. Sue me.) that actually run OK on old hardware. 😜

Reply 1 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used this version of GZDoom on windows 98 on a Pentium III 600 with a Geforce MX440:

GZDOOM 1.0.21 - 2.1.6 (r340) (Oct 2 2006)

Any later GZDoom version gave me General Midi music problems in windows 98: Only one song was ever played. Windows 98 problems were no longer attended to by the devs.

For DOS I use Doom MBF (Marine's Best Friend).

But there are plenty more options for a Pentium III.

Edit, seems I haven't really answered the question since you need Mouselook and TCP/IP, which are things I don't use.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there any decent zdoom alternatives then? I don't really care too much about using mods with zdoom-specific features, just the more oldschool dehacked/removed limits stuff 🤣

Reply 6 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for the necropost, but I just started playing ZDaemon recently, and I noticed that it's based on the Zdoom 1.23 source. How well would that fare on older systems? It doesn't really do too much in terms of eye candy, just slopes and pseudo-3D floors, all with a software renderer.