VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's mentioned as a solution several times in this topic. Normally I'm pretty good at trying things out and seeing how far that takes me. In this case I don't know where to start and it doesn't help that the documentation for it is written with a business setting in mind. Could someone write up a tutorial with a few problematic games as the example?

Reply 1 of 6, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most older games have problems with multi core setups. Others have problems reading texture format lists. Some will not recognize your amount of memory or free HD space. You'll be able to recognize these and most of the compatibility flags by their names and will hardly ever rely on the obscure ones. Recognizing a multi-core bogus game is not easy, but most of the times the symptons are random crashes and sound cut-offs (there are some sound flags in ACT as well, if the problem in not CPU related). The rest is easier to recognize, since messages often show up or you see messed up graphics. Older EA games, for example, have problems on multi-core setups, so you should use SingleProcAffinity on all of them (it has side-effects on some, it's normal. The Shrinker flag will make them less annoying in a few). Just hit on the button "Fix" and you'll be guided through the steps. You won't have to change anything else than the flags through the steps. Try your fix and if it works, save and install it, so it will apply every time you run the game.

Reply 2 of 6, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are using xp resplendant resolver is a sort of easy to use cut down version of the toolkit (sort of) http://www.resplendence.com/resolver
no idea if it works in vista/7

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At this point if there's anything that needs ACT to run, there's probably a guide out there somewhere that will tell you as much, I reckon.

Davros wrote:

If you are using xp resplendant resolver is a sort of easy to use cut down version of the toolkit (sort of) http://www.resplendence.com/resolver
no idea if it works in vista/7

I was just looking at that again the other day and it seems the download link has been taken down from that site. It's available elsewhere, of course.

Reply 4 of 6, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its still there under
Obsolete and outdated downloads may be found here.

Direct link
http://www.resplendence.com/downloads_obsolete.htm

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 5 of 6, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

preset w9x ACT setting also sometimes not good.

some games that using directX 6 or older, you may want to check the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option.

Master of Orion 2 for example, under XP Pro, i only use two option:
- SingleProcAfinity
- ForceDirectDrawEmulation
Those options solve the mouse cursor & movement problems.

Theres still unsolved problem though:
* User may unable return to game after Alt+Tab-ing while in Ship Design Screen (or Weapon/Special System select screen) sometimes.
* Scrolling too fast in tactical battle.

-fffuuu

Reply 6 of 6, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" breaks D3D when available. "Shrinker" solved some mouse cursor problems for me in a few games when they are caused by "SingleProcAffinity". I still need to solve NFSSE and NFSIISE 3dfx version choppy gameplay in Win7 due to "SingleProcAffinity" usage (without it they will randomly stop responding without recovering).