VOGONS

Common searches

Win7 & Space Hulk Vengeance of the Blood Angels

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Momoka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Every now and then, i like to get back to this game. I loved it back on my 3DO, and after i sold that and got the PC version it was good.

Then WinXP came, and i got it working by disabling DirectDraw. Now i am on a Win7 64bit machine, and "it" got me again (meaning i wanna play it ~.~"). So now on Win7 i can not disable DirectDraw, i not really want to go through the hassle to set up a DualBoot machine, though i would have the measly ~5gig to set up a WinXP.
Too bad i "only" have a Win7 Home Premium, otherwise i could get the Virtual Machine setup.

Does anyone know a way to get Space Hulk Vengeance of the Blood Angels up and running? I don't care if it's by using the DOSbox, but i would need precise instructions how to set that up.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 26, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I refer you to this thread
http://www.compatdb.org/forums/topic/24622-sp … e-blood-angels/

Last post there

forget steps 4-7 just create the shortcut and delete hulkdata/bin in the start box properties of hulkw95.exe
Works for me and I'm using Windows 7 x64 😀

And I even made a crude icon for your shortcut 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    spacehulkVotBA.zip
    File size
    305.01 KiB
    Downloads
    389 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 26, by Momoka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's what i tried at the beginning. But despite i already tried it, i just tried it again, following the post. All that i get is a System Error message, stating that :

Attachments

• HULKW95.exe Snipp.PNG
    Filename
    HULKW95.exe Snipp.PNG
    File size
    24.2 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 26, by Momoka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off, i want to state something. I played that game back then on a 3DO, and i loved it. But then my 3DO broke, and i sold off all the games i had. Then after some time, i got the chance to get my hands on a PC version of the game, used. I used to play with that original CD on Windows XP, but that's like 10 years back by now.

I remember that, in the XP time, i wanted to play it once more, and the CD was unreadable, so i downloaded a ISO. After burning that, i could play fine again.

So, i just searched around the Internet, and i found somewhere something stating:
http://www.overclock.net/t/654004/dplay-dll-fix-win-7-x64

I got the game to show me the Control Setup, and i could set my Controller, then i tried to start it up and there is no window coming up.

Vetz, i don't find a Direct X Folder on that CD, and for me the game didn't need to be installed from the beginning.

Reply 6 of 26, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is probably DirectX 2.0 dplay.dll that is required. I've attached it to this post.

Attachments

• Filename
    DPLAY.rar
    File size
    5.9 KiB
    Downloads
    345 downloads
    File license

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 26, by Momoka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Vetz, but it still don't work. I copied the whole CD onto my HD, and i tried to run the game using
- Desktop Shortcut aimed towards the CD, with the dplay.dll in SysWOW64
- Desktop Shortcut aimed towards a Folder, with the dplay.dll in SysWOW64

All that happens is, that the screen turns black for a brief moment, resolution is changed ... and then changed back and i am on the Desktop again.
If i try to put the dplay.dll into the games folder (the whole content copied to the HD) it just lament that it's missing.

Funily, if i try to play it at my wife's PC, which still runs WinXP, the game works perfect, even without disabling the DirectDraw in DirectX.

Reply 10 of 26, by Momoka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bladeforce,
You have a Windows 7 Home Premium 64? I run a Nvidia video card with the 310.90 driver. My wife's PC runs the same Driver and also a Nvidia card. I remember back in the Windows XP days i had to disable the DirectDraw in DxDiag, otherwise it won't run. But now on my wife's PC, which is still a Windows XP OS, it ran just fine with DirectDraw active. Thought i had to run Compatibility because the colors where a little weird.

Do you play any other old games on your system? As the dplay.dll is a needed dll for Doom-ish games, and Space Hulk may run on a similar engine.

It's just plain weird that it wont run for me, but for you.

Reply 11 of 26, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I have come across other games that do require me to place ddraw.dll into the game folder in the past yes. I play lots of older games yes and even though they have their odd little quirks I have got them to run from this era.
For me just creating that shortcut and editing out the hulkdata/bin out works for me, no compatibility setting or ddraw/dplay.dll I mean I cant really place these files in the folder anyway as it's being run from the cd but it just runs. I have an Nvidia card too with 310.90 drivers

Reply 12 of 26, by Momoka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aha, so you do have a different Windows 7 version as i have. One thing i hate is that i can not download and use the "Virtual OS", as i only have Home Premium. With it, i could fake a Windows XP.

So, now i was go on Fry's webpage, searching for a Windows 7 Ultimate, and in they're description they state :
"including the ability to run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode"

So without really knowing, i would guess that Windows 7 Ultimate let you either use the Virtual OS software to fake a Windows XP, or use the probably build in "Windows XP Mode". That is, if this mode don't have to turned on like the Compatibility Modes usually have to.

All i can say for sure at this point is, the game works fine on my Wife's PC, which run on Windows XP Professional. Heck i knew that i should not have upgraded to a lowly Home version, i should have gone at least Professional again 😒

So, for my problem, can you check if the Win7Ultimate use that XP mode only if you select compatibility mode, or does it do that by itself?

Reply 14 of 26, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont have windows xp mode installed and I do NOT have xp selected in the compatibility tab of my shortcut *There is no compat set at all) It just runs with my setup so whether it has something to do with the Ultimate edition I really don't know

Reply 15 of 26, by Momoka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SO, i try another run at it. I create a shortcut of HULK95.exe on my desktop, and delete the start in, so all it reads is "G:\" for me. Now when i double click it, all i get is the System Error message, because DPLAY.dll is missing.

So now i tried to kick the Shortcut to my D drive, and put it in the same directory as the two DPLAY.dll's i have, but both don't work.

After a quick search whats DPLAY.dll, it seems it's a Doom related thing. I found a DPLAY.dll on the CD, in
X:\HULK\HULKDATA\REDIST\DIRECTX

I Tried to copy the DPLAY.dll to Windows System32 folder, doesn't work. Copying it to SysWOW64 seems to work, at least the first time the game came up with the options. Now they come up too, if i click on HULKSET.exe.

But as soon as i click HULK95.exe, all i see is that my monitor try to, like change the resolution, and after a few tries i am back at the desktop. At least no error message.
I think maybe its a graphic card setting.

Bladeforce, do you have any DOOM Games on your machine installed? What type of monitor do you use? I use a 16:9 LED one, connected through an HDMI cable.

Reply 16 of 26, by Momoka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BAH!

I got it to run! I got the idea from this thread:
http://www.teardown.se/forum/showthread.php?t=1063
Niklas posted that he got it to work this way on Windows XP:

* Copy the entire CD to C:\VOTBA
* Copy HULKW95.EXE from C:\VOTBA\HULKDATA\ to C:\VOTBA
* Copy DPLAY.DLL from C:\VOTBA\HULKDATA\*can't remember exactly where it was located* to C:\VOTBA
* Launch HULKW95.EXE

Now what i done was copy the whole CD to my
D:\HULK
Then i copied the HULKSET.exe and the HULK95.exe to D:\HULK, so to speak to the root of that directory where you have the HULK.exe, DSETUP.dll and DSETUP16.dll. Next i copied the DPLAY.dll from
D:\HULK\HULKDATA\REDIST\DIRECTX
to the same spot where i copied to the HULK95.exe.

I'm just not so sure if it runs stable. Niklas stated that it's unstable and crashes every 5 -15 minutes. For that i need to play it for some time, and maybe use some compatibility modes.
Only thing that's weird is, in the Mission, i think it was Sang-Froid (the first famous missions), where the hulk is snow white, i see a graphical glitch.

I just hope, that it's not necessary to turn off DirectDraw in order to get it relatively Crash-free.

Reply 19 of 26, by Kolya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello aqrit. I assume you're the guy who wrote the original DDRAW wrapper. Thank you a lot for this.
Yes, the modified version is necessary by my experience. I tried your original version and several settings with it, but could not get rid of the rainbow colors. With this modified version it worked instantly and even without a config. But try it yourself, I'm open for suggestions.