VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to get some interesting Windows 3.x utilities software. What is interesting utilities for this OS?

And I have the question:

So what for Norton Desktop?

Is Microsoft IntelliType software works in non-MS Natural Keyboard?

What is multimedia software for Windows 3.x? Media Rack?

And what is interesting software for enhancing Windows 3.x experience?

Reply 2 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Norton Desktop is great for enhancing Win3.1x.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 13, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

The Creative 3DO Blaster, but good luck finding one 😀

Are you talking about software what hardware?

Reply 4 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Norton Desktop is great for enhancing Win3.1x.

I used to use Central Point Desktop for Windows 3.1 😀 Multiple desktops and built-in icon editors FTW!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
northernosprey02 wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

The Creative 3DO Blaster, but good luck finding one 😀

Are you talking about software what hardware?

It's a 3DO console on a card that plugs into your PC and lets you play 3DO games.

Reply 6 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Calmira II is free software that adds a Windows 95-style Start menu.
http://toastytech.com/guis/cal.html

For something less radical, I liked to use PMIcons to set the icons of individual program groups.
Want to take fun of windows 3.1 program manager

You can see screenshots of Norton Desktop here:
http://toastytech.com/guis/ndw.html

Reply 9 of 13, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've always preferred HP's Dashboard over Norton Desktop or Central Point Utilities for Windows 3.1 shell replacement.

wfw4.jpg

Reply 10 of 13, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm.... It will match with HP Vectra VL5 computer which I get them soon!

BTW, where you got this shell replacement? And how to make Windows 3.x can get 16.7M color? My video card for upcoming Vectra VL5 is S3 Trio64V2/DX

Reply 11 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to run some desktop toolbar program that among other things had info like memory free, disk space, etc. I can't remember what it could have been called though. I didn't bother with replacement desktops.

When thinking of what was cool in 3.1, all that comes to mind are screensavers and getting on the WWW for the first time. Like on Macs of the day, there were lots of cool screensavers. I had Star Trek The Screensaver, Star Wars Screen Entertainment and Origin FX.

Reply 12 of 13, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember playing with "Morpher". It's a well made morphing thing, cause that was cool in the 90's. You define and match up triangular areas in 2 photos and it will render a morph video.
I still have it archived, the author's name is M. Fujimiya.
His old web site was still working in 2010. Seriously, I had loaded up the old help file and tried clicking his URL, and it still worked. However, I just checked and the site is gone now.
I found a new site at http://m-fujimiya.software.informer.com/
But it doesn't have the detailed description the old site had, and it doesn't have a download link. It can probably be found by searching the web though.
There's a Win16 version and a Win32 version.

Another one.. Paint Shop Pro.
I still use an early, barely Win32 version of PSP to this day. There's a slightly older 3.x version I used to use which is Win16. It actually has some feature in it that the newer versions dropped. My brother once told me he still uses it for that one feature. Something having to do with an erase brush I think.

Reply 13 of 13, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
northernosprey02 wrote:

Hmm.... It will match with HP Vectra VL5 computer which I get them soon!

BTW, where you got this shell replacement? And how to make Windows 3.x can get 16.7M color? My video card for upcoming Vectra VL5 is S3 Trio64V2/DX

HP Dashboard was a commercial product like Norton Desktop. It used less memory and resources and had a compact design which appealed to me. It had multiple desktops and cascading menus long before Microsoft made it a standard. I saw this on a PC at an Egghead Software when I still had Windows 3.1 and bought it. Good luck finding it now.

I have Windows 3.11 running in MS Virtual PC 2004 which emulates an S3 Trio 765 chipset - I downloaded those drivers a while ago and can't find any working links. I also don't know if these same drivers would be compatible with your S3 Trio64V2/DX. Maybe someone else here can help you find Windows 3.x drivers.