Common searches

Gabriel Knight

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 38, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried this (both versions) on Win98SE an XP. Both were fine on 98SE. Couldn't get the DOS version to even start on XP. The Windows version seems fine except for saving and restoring within the game. I've found some posts that say saving and restoring _will_ work, but only at certain locations (no names given).

Oddly, the restore on the main menu looked like it _might_ work.

Hrmmm...

Reply 24 of 38, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

Heh, Nicht, September has just been a bad month for you, hasn't it? 😉

What is the difference between the DOS and Windows versions? Just the ain .exe (interpreter), or also some data files (the big ones)?

V.

Reply 25 of 38, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The floppy version is pretty much the same i think for dos and win23. The cd version has different videos for dos and win32 as far as i can remember making a cd-rip of it sometime.

Reply 26 of 38, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The videos are different? (I mean, other than the format.) That surprises me.

Tried running the DOS version. Displayed "Checking for Gabriel Knight CD in E:", CD drive spun up, everything seemed to work. But after that, black screen. Nothing started, nothing played, nothing happened.

Running SIERRA.EXE directly without the "call CheckCD E:" has the screen go black (like it was going to load it) for a moment, then back to desktop.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 30 of 38, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jumjalum I thought they only ever released on CD...

Nope. Definitely released on floppy, but this was when CD-ROM was finally "taking off" as viable data storage medium. People we're ignoring the floppy version and buying the CD to get the "goodies" floppy versions did not have.

I have been running mine in Windows XP but I havent tried saving or restoring so far.

Stories on compatibility vary, mostly based on rumor. There is a major load/save problem (instant death of program). Last rumor I heard was that you could only load/save from the "map screen".

Reply 31 of 38, by break

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to run Gabriel Knight I (DOS CD v1.0a) past the Sierra logo, when audioDrv = DACNONE.DRV is selected. Of corse you do not have any sound and speech. BTW: I tried some other DACBLAST (sbsci32.exe or the one from the pq4cd) but without sucess.
May it helps...

For the windows version we still have save game problem.

Reply 33 of 38, by break

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, at least you can play and save the game (in windows xp).
The good thing is, that we know it's a digital sound prob that causes the crash. BTW I tried the the dacblast.drv from SQ6 (1995) but it crashes as always.

Reply 36 of 38, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally found my GK CD and was able to test the save/restore option only while on the main map. For the most part, this works for me. Haven't done a lot of in-depth testing, so there are still no guarantees.

This is a pain as you must go to the map every time, but it's better than nothing.