VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys I've heard that you can use Voodoo graphics card with bochs now.

"Applied initial version of the 3dfx Voodoo Graphics emulation. The Voodoo core
is based on a patch originally designed for DOSBox. Currently only the Voodoo1
adapter model can be emulation. The emulation is currently slow, but we intend
to clean up and optimize the code. Running the 3D engine in a separate thread
is also planned. To compile with Voodoo support the configure option
"--enable-voodoo" must be used. Then the device can be activated with
"plugin_ctrl: voodoo=1" in bochsrc or on the command line. The device will be
assigned automatically to a PCI slot unless you do that manually. A specific bochsrc
option to select the adapter model will be added when the code has support for it"

- But the thing is that i dont know how to implement it?
- I have tried changing around in the bochsrc. but it hasent helped
- anyone that knows how to do this please reply! make some kind of tutorial please !

Reply 1 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well! That is very interesting news indeed. I have no idea why you are posting this in the Windows forum, however.

From the looks of things, this patch was applied just after the last official release in September, meaning you will need to find a version of Bochs compiled from the current source, or compile it yourself (not easy). Version 2.6 fresh from the website will not work.

Reply 2 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And when you find a snapshot it needs to be compiled with voodoo emulation enabled 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 18, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dasher wrote:

The emulation is currently slow, but we intend
to clean up and optimize the code. Running the 3D engine in a separate thread
is also planned.

Hopefully DOSBox will be able to consume some of the updates they plan.

Reply 4 of 18, by Dasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From the looks of if you must use latest SVN revision which you should compile by yourself and not the officially released bochs binaries. The Voodoo support is not present in the latest release yet.
- I dont have a clue how to COmpile those files 🙁 I found this page http://code.metager.de/source/search?q=voodoo&project=bochs
-I presume those are SVN sources if im not misstaken, But what exactly do I need to do with them once I download them to get bochs to understand I want to use Voodoo chipset?

Reply 5 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Good summing up of what Jorpho wrote 😉
Best ask the Bochs people how to compile it but if you've never done it, don't bother and wait for someone to provide a compiled version or the next release...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 18, by Dasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive gotten fairly good speeds in bochs, everything works fine.
- The only thing Im lacking is that 3d acceleration 😒 Looked for months for a solution but havent found one yet 😜

Reply 8 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should add that compiling is usually much easier in Linux than it is in Windows, though there can often be some guesswork involved. You can use Wubi to install Linux through Windows without having to muck up your hard drive, or alternatively install it on a bootable USB stick.

Reply 9 of 18, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hrm, from the recent Java port...

" Added support for 3dfx
Ported from MAME
Multi-threaded pure software implementation
Configurable memory options
Supports Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2, currently only Voodoo 1 works in Win95/98
Disabled by default because it requires PCI support which breaks loading OS's with Bochs"

...the last line would make me think this may be the same code from Bochs.

Reply 11 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Orka Borka wrote:

Weird. Given Qemu has a more mature support for win9x as guest OS

It does? I would not have thought Qemu was targeting Win9x in particular at all. Please, do tell: what gives you that idea? Have you been running Win9x in Qemu yourself?

Wonder why they ported it on Bochs instead.

It is surprising to see anyone at all bothering with it.

Reply 12 of 18, by Orka Borka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Please, do tell: what gives you that idea? Have you been running Win9x in Qemu yourself?

As far as I know, it's the only virtualizer that still somewhat officially supports the win9x platform.
And, uh, yes, I have been running win98se on it, actually. I had a better experience running it than on Virtualbox. I could be wrong, but if my memory serves well (~ 2 years ago?) Virtualbox couldn't even run correctly Win95 OSR1. (I needed it for a very old avid workstation betacam deck which only supported that, on Vbox I never got past the installation)

It is surprising to see anyone at all bothering with it.

It's not very different than supporting a virtual Ensoniq sound card. Not perfect by any means, but it could be still somewhat acceptable given which guest OS they're targeting. Well known, popular video card, wide API support.

I suppose you would be limited at Fixed Shader/DX7 calls, but any higher requirements would be better served by the vmware approach.

Reply 13 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Orka Borka wrote:

As far as I know, it's the only virtualizer that still somewhat officially supports the win9x platform.
And, uh, yes, I have been running win98se on it, actually. I had a better experience running it than on Virtualbox.

Are there special drivers available? How was your experience improved?

Reply 14 of 18, by Orka Borka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nothing too peculiar.
I was working in a graphic studio specialized in converting old analog tapes to digital. If you ever worked for television during the mid-to-late '90, you know that you had to to edit your work using a betacam deck - it connected to a windows 95/98 computer, and then you could edit the movie/show/documentary by sending commands trough a DB-25 connector, while previewing on a separate screen.
Then it generated a special file which you would upload to the device, and then it sought trough the original recording and then "write" the requested sequences to a second master tape.

The only driver available was only for win9x, it wouldn't install on a Core Duo PC obviously, and virtualbox couldn't see the device. Qemu was capable of doing the job quite easily, instead.

More than often, similar legacy video editors / adapters would often crash/bluescreen on virtualbox, meanwhile Qemu was relatively more stable.

There are no "guest additions" per se on Qemu, but I was using Scitech video drivers and the some default audio/networking driver from the windows 98 cdrom.

Reply 15 of 18, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man I would KILL for working 3D accel in qemu/bochs. A fully working "9xbox" sorta program would solve so many of my problems.
Slap a 4GB win98 VM (With 100% working DX7 support and such!) on a USB drive.
Someday, someday.

Reply 16 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What a coincidence, version 2.6.2 was just released yesterday. (And 2.6.1, which includes the Voodoo support, was just released in April.)

Looks like the Voodoo support is still not enabled by default, though. You can still compile it from source, however. Usually, this does not require killing anyone. 😜

Reply 17 of 18, by Orka Borka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried it today. It builds fine on Mac Os X Lion and latest Xcode, but it goes on "slideshow mode" just by running windows 98se on a i3 3.2Ghz dual core, even when compiled with all the optimizations available. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong with the config, because I remember getting somewhat better results with a several magnitudes weaker cpu. I'll see if it gets better under bootcamp.

Reply 18 of 18, by Orka Borka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Weird.

It actually seems to work under windows 98, but it doesn't show anything on screen - I've tried test drive 4, need for speed II se and Andretti Racing (with the 3dfx patch) and they seems to reach ingame, but the only confirmation I have is the audio ouput.

By the way, even under Windows 7 my experience with bochs has been ...quite miserable, to put it mildly. On my configuration it seems a bit slower than a pentium 90.
Both Need For Speed and Andretti racing were playable on software at roughly 20-25 fps with low resolution/details.

By the way, given the code seems to be relatively easy to port, would be that hard for someone to write a wrapper based on it?

In other words, a glide2x.dll file that could be used as pure software emulation natively, or inside vmware/ virtualbox without requiring support from the emulator in first place.