Topic actions

Reply 40 of 45, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

My experience with wine is that Diablo 2 runs OK. Not much else.

Don't give up on wine so fast 😀 I played a bunch of games on wine, even the modern ones usually work satisfactory. Just make sure you get the right DX-components and it will (usually) work just fine. 😉

I'll have to try it again then... In my experience it wasn't so good, but that was like 5 years ago.

Reply 42 of 45, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:

You can disable all that other stuff, I only use MGE for the fps counter, FOV and AA setting and it's not slowing anything down.
What exactly doesn't work about the FPS optimizer? A friend of mine uses it on Win7 and as far as I know it runs OK.

Okay, I just tried again and Morrowind FPS Optimizer 1.96 won't run for me under 32-bit Vista. I get a "Morrowind Tweaker has stopped working" error when I try to run it.

I've got UAC disabled, and I tried running both the regular and statically-compiled versions. I also tried setting XP SP2 compatibility mode.

I can use MGE instead with shaders and distant land disabled, but it can't auto-hide the crosshair.

I can use MGE XE instead, with shaders and distant land disabled and crosshair auto-hide enabled, but it doesn't seem to have the ability to increase the maximum view distance beyond the normal in-game maximum. Probably they expect that you will use the distant land feature, but it's a performance killer.

Edit: Well, apparently running it from the Morrowind folder may have caused my issue, as running it from another folder seems to be working.

Reply 43 of 45, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update: Decided to revisit Morrowind (Steam version) on the same laptop in both Win7 x64 and Kubuntu 13.10 x64 + Wine 1.7.8.

The game installed and ran in Kubuntu+Wine, but has a known bug (recorded in Wine's bug tracker) that you cannot remap any of the keys in-game.

For Win7 x64, I installed Morrowind Graphics Overhaul in the "slow" configuration, and didn't pick any options that were supposed to be even a moderate performance impact. I also chose not to use MGE, opting instead for Morrowind FPS Optimizer v1.96. Result is ~15 FPS at view distance 7168+7168, and 40-45 FPS at view distance 7168in the middle of Seyda Neen (the starting town). I tried several resolutions, and the FPS was exactly the same. I noticed that the CPU pegs at 50% (meaning one core fully utilized), which seems a bit odd considering that it's a 10+ year old game running on an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz CPU. I may try underclocking my CPU via the BIOS just to see what happens.

Reply 44 of 45, by truth_deleted

User metadata

I wish I had my MW installation notes from a while back. It took me a long time to optimize it with stability. If you return to MGE, I used the oldest version available (perhaps 3.8.0b?, draw distance at a few cells, and minimal resolution/plugins for distant lands) and MGSO 2.0; also, test with minimal grass, custom trees, and shaders. MGSO 3.0 appears very compatible, along with many guides, for the Steam version of MW. It is recommended to turn off UAC in W7.

Another mod is Rebirth, although it has a different focus as MGSO. Others have also noted that MW has a less efficient graphics engine than Oblivion, causing low fps with added features.

I would first try the vanilla installation of MW to help diagnose the CPU usage question (perhaps this was already checked). There is also a CPU idle function in the newer versions of MGE (I don't know whether older versions have this).

Last edited by truth_deleted on 2013-12-29, 07:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 45 of 45, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
truth5678 wrote:

I wish I had my MW installation notes from a while back. It took me a long time to optimize it with stability. If you return to MGE, I used the oldest version available (perhaps 3.0.3 or 3.3.2? and draw distance at a few cells and minimal resolution/plugins for distant lands) and MGSO 2.0; test with minimal grass, custom trees, and shaders. MGSO 3.0 appears very compatible, along with many guides, for the Steam version of MW.

I decided that my laptop is too weak to use MGE at all, as shaders and distant lands each kill my already low FPS. This is OK because MGSO still has some worthwhile lighting tweaks, face/body mods and gameplay/bugfix mods that all make a significant difference in enjoyment for me.

It is recommended to turn off UAC in W7.

I don't want to do that if I have a choice. I've been paying close attention, and I haven't noticed any issues so far. I did disable it during the initial MGSO installation process though.

Another mod is Rebirth, although it has a different focus as MGSO.

Looks like an expansion mod, which is something I'm not currently interested in due to the fact that I've not yet managed to ever get even a third of the way through the game's official content.

Others have also noted that MW has a less efficient graphics engine than Oblivion, causing low fps with added features.

I would first try the vanilla installation of MW to help diagnose the CPU usage question (perhaps this was already checked).

Those are good thoughts, but I am tired of reinstalling at this point. I am content with 30-45 FPS with light MGSO enhancements, so I may try to continue to play the game using my current setup.