VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just thought I might share this with anyone who still plays these games. Also I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this topic in... but I figured this is about running Windows games I thought I'd post it here.

It is possible to get much better audio quality out of both games, to do so you need just a hex editor.

Luckily it's possible to change this hardcoded value without crashing the game, however you can only really get 22050 out of it. 44100 causes pitch distortion of the audio. (I can only wonder why...)

BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THIS, BACKUP YOUR EXE FILE!!!

Anyways, for Fury3 the offset of the byte that holds the sampling rate is at 0x4917c the value looks like this: 112B

Simply change it to 2256 and save it, start your game and test the change, it should sound *alot* better than what any of you probably would of expect.

Hellbender is the same procedue but at a different address, this time it's located at 0x879a5 and the value is same as before: 112B

Change to 2256 and now Hellbender produces audio at 22050 hz which improves alot of the sounds (most notably the "typing" sound when you bring the nav computer up)

NOTE: For those using cheat engine and are skiddish about hex editing the EXE, you are in luck as it's possible to change sampling rate through Cheat Engine.

Here are the memory addresses where the mix rate is stored (these are static):

Fury3: FURY3.EXE+13E96C (4 Bytes)
Hellbender: HELLBEND.EXE+10564C (4 Bytes)

If you didn't do the hex edit these addresses will hold the value of 11025. And if you want "CD Quality" aka 44100 then instead of 2256 change to 44AC but don't say I didn't warn you that it causes pitch distortion.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων