VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dusted this one off last night and gave it a shot in W7. It installs and patches fine but there are problems: badly flickering in-cockpit graphics, and non-functional preference menus. I tried nGlide and dgvoodoo wrappers.

In XP it installs but won't run at all.

A quick web search and this seems to be par for the course, with scattered success stories from years back but nothing recent.

So, fallback I installed to W95. Everything went smoothly except that audio acceleration needed to be reduced 2 clicks or it would crash [AU30xxx issues].

Anyone have tips on getting this one to fly correctly in W7 and with functioning preference menus too? I can always run on the W98/1.4ghz/V5500 system but I'd be curious all the same..

Reply 1 of 13, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jane's USAF has an engine that is based on the IAF engine. The two games probably share the same problems and solutions. USAF requires modified UI images to work in windows 2000/XP or higher, but still will have some problems with drop down menu's IIRC.
Are you sure you want to bother with IAF or USAF? I regret my time spend trying to fix these games, and prefer Strike Fighters / Wings over Europe/ Wings over Israel etc.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 13, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

haha... Well gerwin to be honest I'd prefer *not* to spend the time - not on this title - especially since I have it running fine in W98. I likewise enjoy the Wings Over experience so it's not really about gaming that I approach this little project. I'm always re-visiting older games to see how things look/feel/play years after the fact. Toying around with Harrier Assault last month [a gem] re-ignited my curiosity for the old titles once again. But having very little experience with IAF I though I'd tap shoulder's on this esteemed forum. Any caution expressed here must be taken seriously!

IAF hasn't aged well technically at all. It's a shame though since games like USAF, F-15 and IAF collectively contain a staggering wealth of detail and design. But I have all 3 working in W98 and I'll probably just leave it at that..

Reply 3 of 13, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On second thought maybe I am a little too harsh on old Jane's USAF... It was when I was modding it back then that I came across aspects that were kinda poor, unrealistic, and unfixable. But overall it has a nice immersion to it, especially the audio. The game has good framerates on pentium III's.

The Strike Fighters series is kind of the opposite. Audio and terrain is poor, but about everything is fixable and expandable, if you have the time to do so.

Regarding IAF, I never played it. But I figure it has more problem spots then USAF. As always in the combat (survey) flightsim business it takes several releases to get things right and complete. Both these games where developed by 'Pixel Multimedia' in israel. Unlike Jane's F-15 and F/A-18.

Harrier Assault? I will look it up. coincidentally I am in the midst of tuning up the AV-8A Harrier in Strike Fighters. 😀

Reply 4 of 13, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a cool youtube featuring SVGA Harrier running on dosbox:

http://youtu.be/wm3964ZSZmE

We're talking old sim here but remarkably tight and well conceived. Nice FM for it's day too.

Reply 5 of 13, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess the newest Jane's title you'll be able to run on XP/W7 is Fighters Anthology, which sadly has no D3D/Glide support at all.

Reply 6 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

I guess the newest Jane's title you'll be able to run on XP/W7 is Fighters Anthology, which sadly has no D3D/Glide support at all.

Fleet Command (with tweaks, like new installer), WWII Fighters and F-15 are working perfectly in Xp. F-15 need new mss32.dll or the music will shutdown.
Don't know about IAF, don't have this game. But IIRC - the game isn't supporting glide API...

Reply 8 of 13, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote:

We're talking old sim here but remarkably tight and well conceived. Nice FM for it's day too.

I see now, Harrier Assault is the early version of SVGA Harrier, I read about that one before. That youtube video is in normal VGA mode, obviously. I found a review at MigMan's museum:
http://www.migman.com/sw/SVGA-Harrier/SVGA-Harrier.php
Sounds like a fun game.

Last edited by gerwin on 2013-04-01, 23:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:
I see now, Harrier Assault is the early version of SVGA Harrier, I read about that one before. That youtube video is in normal V […]
Show full quote
tincup wrote:

I see now, Harrier Assault is the early version of SVGA Harrier, I read about that one before. That youtube video is in normal VGA mode, obviously. I found a review at MigMan's museum:
Sounds like a fun game.

Is that description right? It says 320x200 is VGA and 640x400 is SVGA. I always thought 640x480 was VGA and 800x600 was SVGA. Wouldn't 320x200 be CGA and 640x400 be EGA?

Reply 11 of 13, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
I see now, Harrier Assualt is the early verison of SVGA Harrier, I read about that one before. Thqt youtube video is in normal […]
Show full quote
tincup wrote:

I see now, Harrier Assualt is the early verison of SVGA Harrier, I read about that one before. Thqt youtube video is in normal VGA mode obviously. I found a review at MigMan's museum:
Sounds like a fun game.

Correct - But I have not been able to discern much difference in actual gameplay between the two versions. The Command Center screens differ slightly and Super-VGA sports hi-res, but as the youtube guy notes since the cockpit structure is visible at all viewing angles *only* in lo-res mode, he flies lo-res. I came to the same conclusion and much prefer the look/feel of the lo-res setup.

The biggest difference is the svga manual includes valuable illustrations of cockpit instrumentation and avionics systems that were curiously left out of the first release. They are otherwise the same, and make a good read btw.

I have mapped out all the controls between a Saitek Aviator and a Belkin n52 Nostromo - using one of the Aviator throttles for nozzle angle control. Pretty cool old game. If it were given nothing else but a graphic upgrade it would still be decent..

That vertical landing he makes aboard the Tarawa is pretty nifty.

Reply 12 of 13, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

S3 card required? I've never seen it before for a retail game.

I'm running it in DosBox but could test it on on my various retro rigs for gpu compatibility.

from what I've read recently the game apparently caused a bit of a stir and was actually banned in Australia and "soft peddled" in other regions for political reasons.

I think Wiki says it was banned because it was misunderstood as simulating the unseemly invasion of East Timor. But as the game quite clearly portrays the *relief" of East Timor in face of Indonesia invasion, and Australia/US supported Indonesia at the time, I suspect it was not a misunderstanding at all, and was banned simply because it high-lighted what was a deplorable policy position. At any rate few people saw the game when it came out.