VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A while ago I tried this game on my notebook (newest drivers). While it worked the settings for MSAA and shadow quality were grayed out and even couldn't be activated through registry editing. Now that GPU is capable of DX10.1 and the game is obviously DX9, so did they include some check which doesn't allow for those settings if it detects anything with Intel as GPU?

Reply 3 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

no idea then
you could try 3d analyse to change the vendor id of you gfx card

read this
http://www.nfscars.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37359

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 5 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it did in fact work. 9800 Pro/FX 5900 Ultra ID (no differences between the two as far as I could see) brings back the "realistic" shadows option. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be compatible with NFSMWRes (loader to change the resolution), and even in 1024x768 the framerate gets cut in half with them on, so probably not really worth it...

Reply 6 of 8, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MW is an old game, but with steep requirements. On a 6800GS, I could only play it smoothly at 1024x768 medium details. So, I would think that anything with less power would be better off optimized for speed rather than prettyness.

Reply 7 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to play this game on my crappy 6500 at 1024x768. One of the last games that worked properly on that POS.

Some sources claim that the integrated Intel GPU is on par with a 6600 GT. The main problem with performance on my notebook is that the cooling system is cheap and bad, so that thing actually runs at something like 300 MHz ingame while it's supposed to run at least at 650 MHz. The maximum is supposed to be 1300 MHz; I think at this frequency it could easily give a 6800 Ultra a run for its money.

Even with this limitation, I consider the game playable at 1366x768 and everything (besides the shadows 🙄) on highest. It may sound weird but in such racing games (at least NFSU2/MW) I actually prefer a lower framerate. I think it works way better with the blur effect and therefore gives a better sense of speed. At very high framerates everything looks and feels "cheap", kinda hard to describe without visual representation...

Reply 8 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

I used to play this game on my crappy 6500 at 1024x768. One of the last games that worked properly on that POS.

Some sources claim that the integrated Intel GPU is on par with a 6600 GT. The main problem with performance on my notebook is that the cooling system is cheap and bad, so that thing actually runs at something like 300 MHz ingame while it's supposed to run at least at 650 MHz. The maximum is supposed to be 1300 MHz; I think at this frequency it could easily give a 6800 Ultra a run for its money.

Even with this limitation, I consider the game playable at 1366x768 and everything (besides the shadows 🙄) on highest. It may sound weird but in such racing games (at least NFSU2/MW) I actually prefer a lower framerate. I think it works way better with the blur effect and therefore gives a better sense of speed. At very high framerates everything looks and feels "cheap", kinda hard to describe without visual representation...

I think you're being optimistic in comparing the HD3000 to a 6600GT. I always heard it wasn't any better than a FX5600.